Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long did your factory gasket last?

Options
OK, So I've had my Egg for about 3 months now and the gasket is compressing down pretty good its also really dirty. Question for you folks is How long did your factory gasket last before you decided to replace it with either a Rutland or the Nomex Green Egg one? Also, how painstaking is it to replace? I don't need to yet but I don't foresee it lasting till year end. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What's a gasket?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Only reason why I think it might not last till year end is that I do 6-8 high heat cooks a month. Usually at least 600+ Degrees. Would one expect that in doing so my gasket may only last months instead of years or is 6-8 nothing?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

My gasket lasted years.  All the way until I did 50lbs of pork shoulder for a gathering and forgot to empty my drip pan.  Had a glorious grease fire that took care of the gasket for me.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    It should last ok at that temp but it will get crispy. Even then it still works fine. It when you do a clean burn or in my case forget to close a vent and wrap the thermo past 1000 that it’s gonna go. 

When it does, call RRP and get a Rutland and never worry about it again. Or go without as some folks do. Or buy a replacement BGE one. I did that early on but only did the bottom 1/2 which worked just fine and gives you double life from the over priced BGE one. 

You will find lots of various replies to this question. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    I think my medium is 3.5yrs old and the gasket is fine. I cook on it 5-6x per week. Most of it is higher heat cooks. I’ve wrapped the thermo a few times and the gasket keeps on trucking. I’ve had a Rutland for years in waiting for the day the OG craps out. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I think my medium is 3.5yrs old and the gasket is fine. I cook on it 5-6x per week. Most of it is higher heat cooks. I’ve wrapped the thermo a few times and the gasket keeps on trucking. I’ve had a Rutland for years in waiting for the day the OG craps out. 

Good to hear. Maybe I have a lot longer than I think I do.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options

Good to hear. Maybe I have a lot longer than I think I do.
    I wouldn’t change it unless it smoke is billowing out of the sides and you can no longer control the temp. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I typically remove the BGE gasket before the first initial cook on the egg. Than replace with a Rutland gasket. This way it makes changing out the gasket a breeze when new. Otherwise switch them out when in need. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    I went about 3 years with my original gasket. It wasn't shot by any means, but was thinning out and starting to come up in a couple places.  I had heard good things about the Rutland conversion, and since it's one of the cheaper mods you can do I decided to go ahead and do it.  @RRP gives good service and instructions, and it is very easy to do.  Anyhow, I will admit I did it more because it was something to fiddle with rather than a failure of the original gasket.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    2 years on my first egg. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options

They last 2-3 years under normal use. For me that's every weekend.

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I got my first egg in December of 2012. It still has the original gasket on it. My other large came a couple of years later. It still has the original gasket as well. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    10+ years outta mine. It was roached when I scraped it off. It was the old style and inferior to the new nomex style. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My original MBGE felt gasket, I referred to it as a "save the base when I drop the dome" protector, lasted weeks. The under warranty replacement lasted a year, the High-Que Nomex is still going strong after 5 years. 
    I am thinking of replacing it as I often run a pit probe wire between the dome and base. Even though the gasket still seals the egg without the cable in place, when the cable is there the gasket has "hardened" to the extent there is a bit of smoke leakage around the cable.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    On the large over 9 years.  On the small and mini where we do the high and very high cooks lean than two years.  Both running naked now, but won't once I find the gaskets I ordered from Ron 2 years ago.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    edited May 2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    What's a gasket?
    LOL, that’s what I was thinking. 

I have had my egg for 8 or maybe 10 years (I guess it’s only been 6-1/2 years, just looked at how long I have been on this site) very little smoke leaking and temp control still good. I’m just not sure if it is still there under all the gunk...
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Large and small egg both circa 2010. The gaskets both lasted about 3 cooks. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    My dad has been using his for 19 years(large). Had a replacement for around a decade just hasn’t had a chance to change it! 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    first one was ~3yrs, then I get 2-3yrs since then. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Nearing six years and roughly 1K cooks, many of which are high heat with my large and the original gasket is still doing its job, albeit matted and dirty. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Time LOL, cooks.

Im am about 1100-1200 cooks in, forget about it....
    Jacksonville FL
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I changed mine after five years but that because I was replacing the bands.