Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Anyone Into Vinyl?

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited May 2018 in Off Topic
No, not that kind you perverts. 

I am test driving a Pro-Ject Perspective turntable through my Anthem MRX720 and driving my Paradigm Studio 100 front speakers. Man I love the sound from vinyl. Started out with Tull’s 40th Anniversary Collector’s Edition. Absolutely crystal clear sound even at reference levels, well, until Val came in and yelled at me to turn it down. 

https://youtu.be/txH9fFuspjc

https://youtu.be/HU1Ovl65xJM

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    Options
    Yes. I remember when CD's came out and we loved the clear sound, no popping or hissing. Then, after a year or so, listening to an album again and realizing how much richer the sound is, even with the imperfections.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I've got closets full, my dad was a Disc Jockey back when radio was radio and AM was it....loved going to the station as a kid
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @CTMike - I was on this til I opened your post.  I also was grabbing the Mazzola oil.  Maybe next time-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    I've got over 2K vinyl albums but I haven't used my B&O turntable in about 20 years.

Might be time to go thru the stacks and give some a listen.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    FWIW I even have a wire recorder , if anyone has seen those 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This is what you need.  Jason for the steel.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm an old guy, and when I was young, most people had stereos with big speakers and a turntable, and lots of vinyl LPs.  I hardly ever play them, anymore, but I still have a few:

I really don't understand why people these days tend to listen to music only on headphones or tiny little devices.  I used to have huge floor standing speakers and a wonderful stereo, and I'd crank it up and sit back on the couch and just sail with the music.  Hard to do with today's devices.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I truly don’t know what to listen too anymore. Vinyl, CD, wax cylinder...I need to find something new and something I can actually enjoy. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Harvey Specter for the win!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Harvey?  Or Phil?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    gmac said:
    I truly don’t know what to listen too anymore. Vinyl, CD, wax cylinder...I need to find something new and something I can actually enjoy. 
    Never forget tape tracks.  Reel to reel.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    I love vinyl.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I love vinyl.

You make a point.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Jason where is the picture of you in your Vinyl? You know you have that picture!!!!!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have a crapload of albums. The wif has been on me for years to get rid of them. No turntable here....I can’t let them go however!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I had probably 200 that I gave to SIL when we downsized. Nothing new but some that had decent value. Several in the $80 range for their condition. They listen to vinyl exclusively.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Too bad you not close to CA, Atomic Records in Burbank CA is the only place to buy any and all vinyl. I practically live there, Google them
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited May 2018
    Options
    We have just gotten into it in the past couple years.  Got a decent Audio-Technica Technics direct drive turntable and upgraded the cartridge, along with some good Polk Audio speakers, we are now getting our album collection going.  After years of listening to digital and now streaming Spotify most of the time, it really is enjoyable to put on a vinyl album and truly listen.  There are a lot of details in the mix that clearly stand out better on vinyl.

If you want to jump down the rabbit hole of analog vs. digital recording (and are interested in such things), I suggest listening to this interview with Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine.  I recently got the full analog version of Loveless and it sounds fantastic.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
  • northGAcock
    edited May 2018
    Options
    We have just gotten into it in the past couple years.  Got a decent Technics direct drive turntable and upgraded the cartridge, along with some good Polk Audio speakers, we are now getting our album collection going.  After years of listening to digital and now streaming Spotify most of the time, it really is enjoyable to put on a vinyl album and truly listen.  There are a lot of details in the mix that clearly stand out better on vinyl.

If you want to jump down the rabbit hole of analog vs. digital recording (and are interested in such things), I suggest listening to this interview with Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine.  I recently got the full analog version of Loveless and it sounds fantastic.
    Where did you shop / purchase your turn table (if you don't mind sharing)?

• jdkeithbge
    Options
    Hey @northGAcock I got it from this fancy boutique shop, trusty old Amazon.  And I misspoke above, it is an Audio-Technica not a Technics.  I was able to pick it up for $229, but apparently it is $299 right now.  Based on the research I did, it was a pretty good mid/entry-level turntable.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options

I maintain a nice Yamaha turntable with a Shure V15 Type V cartridge (obsolete by now I'm sure) as I have about 1,500 albums that I sitll listen to.  

However, there is no way vinyl, or even reel-to-reel tape, can match the performance and sound of a well-recorded CD, not to mention DVD-A, SACD, and Bluray Audio.  (flame suit, check!  ;) )  I have a growing collection of NEW recordings on the digital formats, and most sound fantastic (give AIX Records a try).  

Too many "audiophile" releases on digital disks are simply near-perfect copies of 50-year-old master tapes, and there's no way they can "improve" on the sound, it just a more-accurate picture of an old recording.  So, sadly, we will never hear state-of-the-art for those old classic albums, although some were pretty darn good.  

The last two Tom Petty albums were available on Bluray Audio, 5.1 Surround and they sounded fantastic!  I've also got a copy of Pink Floyd's DSOTM on DVD-A; even though the original was recorded on tape, hearing it swirl through 5 different speakers is an experience!  

My big worry, and this just happened: Oppo Digital has ceased developing new players, and Sony is the only other company I'm aware of that sells a player that can play DVD-A, Bluray Audio, and SACD formats.  I'm tempted to purchase an extra Oppo and store it away, but at $550 that's kinda extravagant.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• northGAcock
    Options
    Hey @northGAcock I got it from this fancy boutique shop, trusty old Amazon.  And I misspoke above, it is an Audio-Technica not a Technics.  I was able to pick it up for $229, but apparently it is $299 right now.  Based on the research I did, it was a pretty good mid/entry-level turntable.
    Thanks for the info....are the stylist still readily available for these turntables? I would assume so....but one rely s on the other.....do you use the same boutique shop?

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

@Botch well said.

I’ve been tempted to get into vinyl listening, but haven’t yet. Agree with what you said about SACD, etc.  I have two Sony SACD players.  DSOTM in 5.1 is pretty outstanding.  Also have the Allman Brothers SACD releases.  Eat a Peach is something else.

Lately, all I have been buying are blues albums in SACD.  B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Robert Lockwood Jr., Muddy Waters, Keb Mo, Junior Wells, Albert King, SRV, etc.  There’s just something about the Robert Lockwood disc with an acoustic guitar and his shoe tapping the floor in rhythm that I can’t get past.  Wonderful to listen to.

Unfortunately it appears that SACD is dead, so I’m grabbing what I can off ebay from some trusted sellers and grabbing what I can. 

Cheers!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Botch
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Unfortunately it appears that SACD is dead, so I’m grabbing what I can off ebay from some trusted sellers and grabbing what I can. 

Cheers!

Yeah, me too; it appears Chesky and some of the classical labels are the only ones still recording in 5.1; can't understand why it isn't more popular.  

• jdkeithbge
    Options
    @northGAcock Yep, same boutique.  I got the AT120Eb combo kit.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My kids told me "Vinyl is coming back, don't get rid of all your albums." I explained that most had been played to death. I had a turntable at one point whose arm was so messed that I had 2 quarters taped on top to keep the point down. Needless to say, rooms full of happy people were not quite capable of clean track changes on the fly.

For nostalgia's sake, still have my Highway 66 Revisited, Butterfield's East/West, Sgt. Peppers, Truth,  Anthem of the Sun, Live/Dead, Cheap Thrills. If ever on a turntable again, the pops and hisses alone might re-write history.

At one point, the house had a 600W amplifier, feeding Fender amps. Symphonie Fantastique was cataclysmic at points. Then there was the guy who doubled that. Older, and less care free now, I have to think that living within 2 blocks of him was kind of "ITS JUST A KISS AWAY KISS AWAY KISS AWAAAAAY"

Also kept the Deutche Grammaphon for the Liszt, Chopin, Beet-man, etc.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    AT-LP120 USB, Technics Linear tracking, B&O and a Garrard With McIntosh AMP and Klipsch La Scalas. A few vinyl albums hanging around!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Botch
    Options
    ... McIntosh AMP and Klipsch La Scalas. 

Impressive!   B)