Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paint Chipping!!! What do I do?

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
The paint on my egg started popping off during tonights cook. I am assuming this is not a good thing. What do I need to do?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, not normal. File a warranty claim with your dealer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They aren’t painted, they are glazed. If the color is coming of, the ceramic is coming off. it’s fairly common and a good reason to buy new so you can claim warranty. 

You can settle this via warranty if you at the original owner. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That is not paint. The green color on a BGE is fired at a high temperature and is called glaze. Your problem is not too common, but it is a warranty claim for full replacement as long as you are the original owner and sent in your registration.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    I am the original owner and I did send in my registration. How long does this process usually take? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    bhugg said:
    I am the original owner and I did send in my registration. How long does this process usually take? 
    Depends on your dealer. Many times the replacement part comes with your dealer's next shipment from their wholesaler. If the dealer has slow turnover of eggs it will take a while. Meanwhile there is no reason to stop using the damaged egg!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Mines chipped from taking a 6ft fall, but still cooks.  I call it battle scars from going to battle.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mines chipped from taking a 6ft fall, but still cooks.  I call it battle scars from going to battle.  

#boymustnotownawrench
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Mine did that today too. Weird coincidence. 

Im the original owner but I have had it for about 10 years and I would never find the receipt and didn’t register it as I guess I didn’t know I had to. 

I can can live with it but will have to watch if it continues and figure out how to follow up if I have to. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

#tightenyourscrews

Johns Creek, Georgia