Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little help - beef ribs

dinosaurjnr
dinosaurjnr Posts: 11
Cooking two 6 lbs beef rib slabs, only be on for 4.5 hours already probing at 190-200 and look done. Is that possible? I expected a 6-7 hour cook if not longer. Appreciate the help. Also this was for dinner, do I just wrap and put in a cooler for a few hours? Thanks. 

Comments

• dinosaurjnr
    edited May 2018
    Dome temp was 275 +/-, grate usually run about 30-40 lower for me. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    I did two yesterday that took 5 1/2 to 6 hours at 250. Also, I’ve always had better luck probing laterally from the thick meaty side, as opposed to straight down .  Otherwise the probe ends up in fat pockets that read higher.  Visually I’d say they had more to go as mine always contract more off the bone  than that. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Toothpick test for the win-never fails.  Never have temped a rib cook so no help there-but I would guess 205-210*F (+/-)  based on chuck roast behavior.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Forget about the temp, how do they probe?  Plate ribs are generally probing like buttah around 210-215°.  Yours look like they need some more time. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The bones are hotter than the meat. Hard to temp ribs accurately. When that probe slides in like butter they are ready. Ignore the temp, use the force. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dinosaurjnr
    Appreciate the comments, seems like it might need more time. New to the probe test, will see how it works out. These seem to have a decent amount of fat so thermometer isn’t the best.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    That probe looks like it’s in pretty deep. I suspect it’s on the bone. 
  • dinosaurjnr
    I don’t think it was in bone, but based on comments this is headed back on. Guessing needs another hour or so.