Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Arrived

Options
SSQUAL612
SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
SRF Gold...good friends coming out in September so I’m gonna save till then.   I have a Black the same size I’m going to cook Memorial Weekend & it’ll be my first SRF Brisket Experience.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Lucky man!  Do it right!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Giddyup!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's a biggun
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Great grab- Given my advanced taste buds, I have not seen a big difference between Black and Gold, compared with the noticeable positive difference between prime and black.  Regardless,  you are in for a treat.  And should you wonder about the cook, the cow doesn't know/care-the process is always the same.  Just start checking for the finish-line in the high 180's with SRF although I have only had one finish around 190-the rest in the low 200's (like every other cow).  FWIW-
    BTW Memorial Day is Memorial Day.  National Brisket Day is always May 28th.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great grab- Given my advanced taste buds, I have not seen a big difference between Black and Gold, compared with the noticeable positive difference between prime and black.  Regardless,  you are in for a treat.  And should you wonder about the cook, the cow doesn't know/care-the process is always the same.  Just start checking for the finish-line in the high 180's with SRF although I have only had one finish around 190-the rest in the low 200's (like every other cow).  FWIW-
    BTW Memorial Day is Memorial Day.  National Brisket Day is always May 28th.  FWIW-
    Thanks Frank, when I calculate the price per pound it makes me reluctant to trim anything off.  I'll probably stick to Black BOGO after this, but I had to experience at least once to know what all the scuttle butt is about. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Prep just like any other brisket you have handled in the past.  And forget about the $$/lb or you could get nervous-not worth it.  Qual boards were more of a challenge.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I will say Brent had and SRF at BBIII not sure if it was gold or black, but it had alot to trim off.  You just never know,  I will say it came out much better than the UK hoops team did in the Tourney this year!  It was outstanding!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Not to hi-jack this thread, but how much better are the SRF briskets than costco prime briskets? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Hans61 - In response to your brisket question I will offer the following:  Costco prime briskets (at least until a few months ago for me when the quality went down) are a great value.  Good beefy flavor and texture.  If you enjoy cooking a brisket with a solid outcome Costco (above disclaimer) will deliver.  If you want to explore finer cuts (just like the difference with any meat grade-select, choice, prime) and really enjoy the challenge of a brisket cook, then you should give a SRF black grade a go just so you know what's out there.  To me the texture and robust beef flavor sets SRF apart.  The price of a SRF black is worth the one-time cook at a minimum.  Now, if brisket is just a "cook in the rotation" then it may not be worth it to you.  
    And if you want to know what's out there with the experts cranking out the best you will ever eat, head to Central Texas for a few days to get yourself calibrated.  A humbling and worthwhile road-trip for me.  I will go again.  
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.