Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: SRF 20% off Gold Grade Briskets TODAY

Options
That's the word on the street.  Use the Promo code GOGOLD20 on an SRF Gold Grade Brisket and you'll get 20% off.  But it's a one-day sale.  

20% off these bad boys is a pretty good deal.  I just ordered one myself.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Take the above from @JohnInCarolina and allow me to offer another reason to give this a solid look.  National Brisket Day is Monday May 28, 2018.  I fully realize that is Memorial Day so grab the brisket and cook it Sat or Sun.  Thank me later ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Waiting for the "I'll never buy from them again unless they have another BOGO brisket sale" comments in ...3...2...1...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Is the price honestly worth it? $150 (with the Code) for a 9lb brisket seems insane. I can get 3 15lb Prime Briskets from Costco for that. I can somewhat justify the price for their steaks but that much for a Brisket, ehh no so much.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Is the price honestly worth it? $150 (with the Code) for a 9lb brisket seems insane. I can get 3 15lb Prime Briskets from Costco for that. I can somewhat justify the price for their steaks but that much for a Brisket, ehh no so much.
    I think unless you've had one before yourself, and one that was cooked well to boot, it's difficult to gauge "worth it".  But then I also wouldn't suggest ordering a 9lb brisket.  I'd go with at least a 15lb one.  

I am also probably not the best source for questions regarding frugality.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I always order the 12-14 lb weight range.  And I have a totally opposite opinion than @TEXASBGE2018.  I find their briskets to be worth it (black grade other than once or twice a year like today for the gold) and their steaks not as far above what I can find locally.  Gotta admit that if I'm in Texas I would be hard pressed to top the locally available briskets as high-lighted on the forum.    
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

I think unless you've had one before yourself, and one that was cooked well to boot, it's difficult to gauge "worth it".  But then I also wouldn't suggest ordering a 9lb brisket.  I'd go with at least a 15lb one.  

Ya, I have never had a Wagyu Brisket but I've had Wagyu Ribeye's and the difference in flavor in the ones that I've eaten over Prime Ribeye's I've eaten did not really justify double to price to me. To each their own but I just don't see myself spending $160 bucks on a Brisket that is arguably in my opinion not worthy of that inflated price. The Comedian Jim Gaffigan has a pretty funny stand up bit about Kobe Beef and Wagyu Beef if anyone wants to google it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    How can you argue against something you’ve never tried? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Ya, I have never had a Wagyu Brisket but I've had Wagyu Ribeye's and the difference in flavor in the ones that I've eaten over Prime Ribeye's I've eaten did not really justify double to price to me. To each their own but I just don't see myself spending $160 bucks on a Brisket that is arguably in my opinion not worthy of that inflated price. The Comedian Jim Gaffigan has a pretty funny stand up bit about Kobe Beef and Wagyu Beef if anyone wants to google it.

In my experience the difference is not in flavor, but rather how well the finished product turns out.  If you’re not really into brisket overall (some folks prefer the vastly simpler prime rib cook), then it’s probably not going to be “worth it” to you.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

True, I'm not really arguing against it necessarily. I'm really curiously asking if potentially triple the price tag is worth it.  If I had the money to afford a Bugatti doesn't mean I would buy one. A Mercedes AMG GT S can get me somewhere just as fast, is just or arguably more sexy and is 1/10th the pricetag.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

True, I'm not really arguing against it necessarily. I'm really curiously asking if potentially triple the price tag is worth it.  If I had the money to afford a Bugatti doesn't mean I would buy one. A Mercedes AMG GT S can get me somewhere just as fast, is just or arguably more sexy and is 1/10th the pricetag.

You are on the wrong forum for these kinds of conversations man, lol.  You want the Weber kettle forum.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

You are on the wrong forum for these kinds of conversations man, lol.  You want the Weber kettle forum.

You got me there. Given that you people have made me spend all kinds of money on things that I didn't need but dangit I wanted them and you convinced me anyways.

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    I was full of piss and vinegar when I saw this post. Promptly went to the SRF site, put two 12-14 lbers in my basket. Went to checkout and...just couldn’t pull the trigger. $300 is a pant load of cash for a couple pieces of meat. That said, I expect some of you high rollers to post some killer brisket cooks in a few weeks.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

I have a few of them and I’ll say the answer is no on the Gold vs the Black. I think the Blacks are noticeably superior to a prime brisket. I only cook a few briskets a year so the extra money isn’t too bad especially when you hit up a sale. I generally buy two at a time as there’s always a discount for buying more than one and the shipping is the same price. 

And the end of the day, I’d rather eat wagyu brisket half as often as prime and come up equal on the money. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

I have a few of them and I’ll say the answer is no on the Gold vs the Black. I think the Blacks are noticeably superior to a prime brisket. I only cook a few briskets a year so the extra money isn’t too bad especially when you hit up a sale. I generally buy two at a time as there’s always a discount for buying more than one and the shipping is the same price. 

And the end of the day, I’d rather eat wagyu brisket half as often as prime and come up equal on the money. 

Ya, see there is your advantage. You cook them a few times a year. Being in Texas I guess makes you have the itch more because from summer all the way until around December I cook 2 or more a month. Spending $2,400 on Brisket to me isn't worth it. I would rather spend $800 over that time and then go buy me another Egg or 2 to cook on.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I and got Arby’s for lunch, so I’m goodnight on briskets for now.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    If you’re cooking brisket that often, you owe it to yourself to try one. Just so you’ll know. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    If you’re cooking brisket that often, you owe it to yourself to try one. Just so you’ll know. 

Ya, maybe for a special occasion I'll treat myself.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

I don’t think anyone here buys SRFs exclusively.  I usually just get a choice or prime brisket from Costco.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    TEXASBGE2018 said:
    Ya, see there is your advantage. You cook them a few times a year. Being in Texas I guess makes you have the itch more because from summer all the way until around December I cook 2 or more a month. Spending $2,400 on Brisket to me isn't worth it. I would rather spend $800 over that time and then go buy me another Egg or 2 to cook on.
    I mentioned that consideration in an above post as if I had that access I would be quite happy where I am.  In fairness, I do need to give the Costco prime packers another go-the last few times I have been there I have been disappointed with the meat-packer trimming and the actual quality of the protein.  
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

I don’t think anyone here buys SRFs exclusively.  I usually just get a choice or prime brisket from Costco.
    I do but as mentioned earlier, it’s only a few times a year. Briskets at Costco are a relatively new thing for many of us. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

I do but as mentioned earlier, it’s only a few times a year. Briskets at Costco are a relatively new thing for many of us. 
    Costco around here still only has choice flats, no packers at all. And they want something like $6.99/lb for just a flat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! Needed some proteins for our Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend parties.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Premium charged for the flat as supposedly it takes more care and feeding to create one,  Point to the burger grinders or corned beef.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

I honestly prefer the black over the gold.  Both are the most amazing briskets. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    Options
    bgebrent said:

I honestly prefer the black over the gold.  Both are the most amazing briskets. 
    TBH, I don't see much difference between Black and Gold, but with this discount code, Gold is about the same price as Black. And so, the deal is done.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I also bought a couple, one for me, and one for my first KCBS competition in June. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DMW
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I also bought a couple, one for me, and one for my first KCBS competition in June
    That's cheating. I like the way you roll.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I also bought a couple, one for me, and one for my first KCBS competition in June. 
    Yeah buddy.  Good luck!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Please. Don’t share this with anyone outside this forum, but if you enter GOGOLD20L, you‘ll ensure you get a left side brisket. @bgebrent Butt Blast Sat night brisket was a left side one, so you‘ll want to grab one when you can. @SRFShane thought me this before he pulled pitch.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95