Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Salt Block Cook

Options
I’ve had a pink salt block for a while & decided to try it out after seeing a couple of post recently.  SWMBO is not a big steak fan so I wanted to see if I could make a filet in a way she would enjoy.   I put fresh ground pepper on the filets and followed the reverse sear method & then sliced after a sear on the salt block & returned the slices to the salt block to cook further.   I was going more for a Korean BBQ or Tepanyaki style.   I saw in previous post where some were saying shrimp were too salty so I started mine with unsalted butter & Habanero Garlic & finished on the block.   I made Clamato Rice from a recipe I found after a recent Bloody Mary post & SWMBO said it was the best rice I’ve made.  I served the meat with sesame oil & Mrs Dash salt free Southwestern Chipotle for dipping & it paired nicely. I’ll be doing this again since it was fun & tasty.  

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked a salt block once.  Almost impossible to slice and, as predicted, salty.
    Options
    That looks fantastic. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent cook.  Gonna need to get the salt block out again.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It was fun...nice evening on the patio.   I liked the Clamato Rice, but it does contain MSG as NOLA pointed out in the BM thread.  It turned out great & cooks in a Dutch Oven so you could make it on the Egg.  I used the oven since I was cooking with Jr.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen