Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: 23 and Me

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well I could have said Hollywood Indians and Bollywood Indians.
    Or you could say feather, not dot, but that would be wrong. =)
    You are such a not good person.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yep, saw it, awesome.
    Options
    Yep, saw it, awesome.
    Funny skit!  People believe too much in genertics.  If only education could pertain.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    Options
    I will not pay some corporation to collect and analyze my DNA to then sell that information to pharmas. I mean that's like paying Facebook to use their services while still allowing them to pimp your information to advertisers.

I'm pretty sure both 23-and-me and Ancestry,com just make crap up WRT to crap that happened a few hundred years ago that doesn't really matter now but they'll take your money anyway.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    I will not pay some corporation to collect and analyze my DNA to then sell that information to pharmas. I mean that's like paying Facebook to use their services while still allowing them to pimp your information to advertisers.

I'm pretty sure both 23-and-me and Ancestry,com just make crap up WRT to crap that happened a few hundred years ago that doesn't really matter now but they'll take your money anyway.
    They yield some legitimate information to the consumer but very generic.  Then they sell sell sell.  Predictable. It’s all about the marketplace.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,353
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My wife sometimes says the woo woo or the dot Indian.  I just shake my head. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I thought it was interesting to find out background.  The idea of matching me up with long lost relatives, and putting me in a database - that's a big NO THANKS.

Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I believe that you could actually opt out of sharing your information with anybody who asks. You use handles, just like here and they have to send a request through the company that you can approve or disapprove before they are given your contact information. If my nameless faceless health data leads to a cure for cancer or some other major disease, then I don't consider that a bad thing. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    DMW said:
    You are such a not good person.
    Thanks Captain Obvious.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    From all of the independent studies I’ve seen they are both very accurate. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Have you engaged their services?
  • DMW
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Their algorithms are both completely "proprietary". As in, trust, but don't verify. No thanks. I'd rank them right up there with National Enquirer
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• blasting
    Options
    I believe that you could actually opt out of sharing your information with anybody who asks.  

I went to their site, and you are correct.  They clearly have an opt in feature to connect related people.

I'm still not inclined to do it.  A private company having access to my DNA, doesn't fit with my desire for anonymity.  Data breeches are here to stay.
    Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Since the agency that I worked at 31 year was self insured, I believe that my medical privacy was non existent. Add to that data poaching by the NSA and Google and your medical information has been sold more times than Trump's hookers.
  • blasting
    Options

I realize privacy is a losing battle, but I'm still not giving up.  Not judging anyone who feels differently - I realize I'm the odd duck.

I avoid using my real information for online purposes, I use a VPN, and I wasn't on facebook or similar sites.  
    Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I had to do continuing education for my profession. One of the seminars I attended was titled "Fired By Facebook" . I learned that a large number of Fortune 500 companies routinely checked on Facebook when an employee took off sick. So I never had a Facebook page.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep
    Options
    Has anybody on here done this test? I just got my results back this morning. Based on my aunt's genealogy research I should have had about 3% American Indian. The results were 99.7% European with 64% Irish and English(they lump Scotland and Wales in with England), 19% German and French combined, 0.9 % Scandinavian with the remainder broadly European and 0.2% Subsaharan African. But not even a fraction of a percent American Indian or Asian. Health wise I came out great, saturated fats don't affect my weigh, only calories.

My guess is that not all genes are passed along in equal proportions.
    That 3% Indian qualifies you to teach law at Harvard. At least you took the test. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DMW
    Options
    Has anybody on here done this test? I just got my results back this morning. Based on my aunt's genealogy research I should have had about 3% American Indian. The results were 99.7% European with 64% Irish and English(they lump Scotland and Wales in with England), 19% German and French combined, 0.9 % Scandinavian with the remainder broadly European and 0.2% Subsaharan African. But not even a fraction of a percent American Indian or Asian. Health wise I came out great, saturated fats don't affect my weigh, only calories.

That 3% Indian qualifies you to teach law at Harvard. At least you took the test. 
    You're annoying.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well I had my first request to share ancestry information. I will have to think about it over the weekend.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Is this the new Astrology via Facebook,  which potentially provides data for people looking for you, for whatever purpose? Personal data, is similar to any other type of collection; It becomes data that can be sold.

This is not for me for only about a million reasons.

Yes, I wear an aluminum foil wrapped colander on my head, to keep the government from reading my thoughts, in case you were concerned.

I do not need a DNA test to tell me the percentages of me being fat, ugly, slow, drunk, stupid and lazy. I have checked those boxes, multiple times, daily, beginning years ago.

I have a handle on what I am.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I'm sure you pine for the good old days (pre-1963, segregation).  Keep pining. FIFO.
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Is this the new Astrology via Facebook,  which potentially provides data for people looking for you, for whatever purpose? Personal data, is similar to any other type of collection; It becomes data that can be sold.

Yes, I wear an aluminum foil wrapped colander on my head, to keep the government from reading my thoughts, in case you were concerned.

I do not need a DNA test to tell me the percentages of me being fat, ugly, slow, drunk, stupid and lazy. I have checked those boxes, multiple times, daily, beginning years ago.

And nobody is forcing you to take a gene test. Others have valid reasons to take it. For instance I needed to know how likely it was that I could come down with macular degeneration or Alzheimer’s.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Yes. I used Ancestry.com and should be getting results in the next two weeks. I am only interested in ancestry, where my predecessors came from. I have a last name that has less than 1000 families with it worldwide. Also I always thought that my maternal grandmother had a lot of negro blood. (Is that the word to use?)

A simple google will provide any intelligent person plenty of assurance backed by research that the big firms are highly accurate. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    bgebrent said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Yes. I used Ancestry.com and should be getting results in the next two weeks. I am only interested in ancestry, where my predecessors came from. I have a last name that has less than 1000 families with it worldwide. Also I always thought that my maternal grandmother had a lot of negro blood. (Is that the word to use?)

A simple google will provide any intelligent person plenty of assurance backed by research that the big firms are highly accurate. 
    That word was common and acceptable in the 50’s , I’ve heard anyway. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I'm guessing I should have used African.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I'm guessing I should have used African.
    Hey, I’m just busting balls. But some folks are pretty sensitive to the choice of words. I think intent is really what matters. The rest is just communication. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:

And nobody is forcing you to take a gene test. Others have valid reasons to take it. For instance I needed to know how likely it was that I could come down with macular degeneration or Alzheimer’s.
    Hey, good for you.

This was not meant to be an personal attack on you or your decision. However, knowing your likelihood is low for Alz and MD, are you still secure you will not have it?

Just curious and not trying to be a smart aZZ.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    For macular degeneration, which my mother has, my chances are less tha 1 in 50. That is about the average for the population. For Alzheimer’s, I have no markers so I am less likely than average to come down with it. Since I live by myself, 90 miles from my nearest relative, and in an area without public transportation, I find it somewhat reassuring. Of course I once told someone who was worrying excessively that the International Space Station could always fall out of the sky and land on her.