Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beef Finger Ribs

I was wandering through the local HEB ~6 weeks ago and my eye caught some beef ribs for $1.49#... WHAT do my eyes deceive me?  I look at the label and see Finger Ribs... WTH are those?  Butcher walked up and said they are great and he has a guy who always buys them up when they are in the store.  WTH I am not out very much money ($10) if they are a fail.

Took them home, froze them until this weekend- got around to cooking them today.

While figuring out WTH these were I read this thread and was for sure I had some losers on my hand.  But I still perservered... Rubbed them with just plain salt and pepper this AM, dialed egg up to 250 at 3 and from other reading I saw figured 2.5 hours.  Checked the egg every so often (added some andouille along the way) and it was holding temp perfectly and went back to work. 

5.00 PM I come down, open egg and they look good, stuck the thermopen in and &^%$ these suckers are 185 +/-, wasn't thinking that high.  Pulled them and let them rest for 40 min, then put them in warm oven.

Behold the process and final product

Final results-
I had one that was pretty dang good- good bite, juicy and flavor and one that was so so.

If I see them again I would buy them- but I would use a different seasoning- treat it more like a brisket and likely put on a very light sauce while still in the egg to give them something on the outside.

LBGE, Charbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Weber Kettle Premium, Yeti 65, RTIC 20, Yeti 20 oz Rambler, Yeti Colster, RTIC Lowball

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits

Comments

• These are usually the ribs from the rib loin (ribeyes). The meat is between the bones instead of on top like short ribs. Pretty meager meat and can be really fatty too. 

Your thermapen is not going to give you an accurate reading on ribs like this (beef or pork). The meat is so thin and bones get hotter than the meat so you just need to go by feel when you prove it. 
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • Sea2SkiSea2Ski Posts: 2,659
    I would have shared a meal of them with you since you had two racks.
    They look good to me from where I am sitting.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,053
    These are usually the ribs from the rib loin (ribeyes). The meat is between the bones instead of on top like short ribs. Pretty meager meat and can be really fatty too. 

Your thermapen is not going to give you an accurate reading on ribs like this (beef or pork). The meat is so thin and bones get hotter than the meat so you just need to go by feel when you prove it. 
    I cook these sometimes. I generally find that if you let the meat draw up a good inch from the bottom....they are good to go. Just suggesting another sign of readiness. Also you are right about the fat....but makes for good flavor....not necessarily good for you. ;)
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,781
    Toothpick test for the win.  Works every time.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.