Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ribs today

GregCGregC Posts: 84
I’ll be smoking 2 slabs of ribs today. The first 3 hours will be over apple juice then remove the juice, then I’ll place the ribs in tin foil with a little apple juice (steam) for 45 minutes to an hour. After that remove from tin foil, place on grate for another half hour over the bare plate sitter slapping the Sweet Baby Rays to them. This is how I’ve always done my ribs, got the idea from a buddy who use to do competitions. Always fall off the bone tender.
Anyone else use this method or anything close?

Photos to follow.

Comments

• SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 904
    I typically follow the 3-2-1 method.  Remove membrane from back of ribs and season generously...I prefer St Louis Cut & my Rub has a good amount of brown sugar.  I smoke em for 3 hours with cherry at about 250 indirect then I put margarine & either agave nectar or spicy pepper jelly or both on both sides & wrap in Heavy Duty foil with a small amount of apple juice in bottom.  Return to grill for 2 hours then remove ribs from foil & return to grill for 1 hour and sauce. 

SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GregCGregC Posts: 84
  • Steve76Steve76 Posts: 53
    Lookin good! What time is dinner??
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Maverick 733,  Flameboss 300, Thermapen, &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
    About 6

Steve76 said:
    Lookin good! What time is dinner??

Ready for Sweet Baby Ray’s
  • johnnypjohnnyp Posts: 2,910

Hey Greg,  I used to use foil as you and SSQUAL described above.  I liked it because it was pretty fool proof.

I later converted to a straight-up method (without foil) because I preferred the texture.  Traditionally, a well cooked rib should be soft enough to bite cleanly away from the bone, but not be so soft as to fall-off-the-bone.  

I'd recommend giving non-foiled a try in the future.  If you prefer the foiled way, so be it, it's your groceries. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • abtaylor260abtaylor260 Posts: 53
    Nice color on those

I’d say ther went over pretty well.......
  • Conman64Conman64 Posts: 10
    Serious Clark?
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,279
    Ribs are the best on a bge. You have inspired me to pull out my StL cuts and place them on the egg. 
    Great cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,973
    I made some yesterday as well, thanks for the inspiration.  235-250 for 5.5 hours, added some sauce, pulled after 6 hours.

Southlake, TX.  And any chance I get,  @ Cowhouse Creek - Gatesville, TX

Those look great.

said:
    I made some yesterday as well, thanks for the inspiration.  235-250 for 5.5 hours, added some sauce, pulled after 6 hours.