Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Recipe

Good Morning All - Looking for a good PRIME RIB recipe for Easter. My wife purchased "boneless" 8 lb... Meat looks fantastic, would have preferred bone in. (We'll try that next go round.) Thanks in advance for suggestions. 

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited March 2018
    There are so many to be found by going to the search box in the upper right hand of this page and type in "Prime Rib". 
    I use simple salt and pepper, fat side up, low and slow, indirect, pecan to smoke, until internal of 125, remove, foil, get my egg to 600F sear for a minute on each side to desired IT. Hope you find a recipe you will enjoy, and don't forget to post the pictures.
    Good luck, although, you won't likely need it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thanks for the reply - been looking at the recipes and there are many... LOL Simple is often better. We saw a few with herb butter that look interesting as well. Will do
  • This is one method I did and it turned out really tasty. 

INGREDIENTS

• For the Prime Rib:
    • 5 lbs Prime Rib or rib roast
    • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons coarse ground pepper
    • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
    • For the Herb Paste:
    • 3 cloves of garlic
    • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
    • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
    • 1 tablespoon fresh sage
    • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS

For the Herb Paste
    Place everything into a food processor and pulse a few times until combined into a chunky paste.For the Smoked Prime Rib:
    Preheat Smoker to 250 degrees.Trim excess fat off of meat, rinse with cold water and pat dry.Apply olive oil, and salt and pepper generously to the rib roast. Then apply the paste.Place the rib roast on the smoker.Check temperature in the center of the meat to desired doneness – 125 degrees. (This should take roughly 3-4 hours for a 5 lb prime rib). Remove from smoker and let sit for 20 - 30 minutes.Slice and serve.

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    I followed an Amazing Ribs recipe, as described in my post. I was really happy with it. Good luck, and will be looking for pictures.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    This is how I do it 
    https://youtu.be/gN5d1dYoWqs

Love this cook
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    i do equal parts kosher salt/ coarse black pepper.  then smear with soft roasted garlic and rosemary.  Let sit uncovered 4-5 hours in fridge.  Then Indirect on egg (reverse sear) with small amount of oak smoke until 10 degrees or a little more  away from desired internal temp. Follow it up with a really hot oven or grill indirect for 5 minutes or so for a good crust. Then rest. never fails for me. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    ...... My wife purchased "boneless" 8 lb... Meat looks fantastic, would have preferred bone in. ....
    Why?  I prefer boneless.  In terms of the quality of the end product, I think boneless has it over bone-in.  Just don't get to chew on the bone.  When I get a bone-in, I cut off the bones to cook separately and cook the roast as a boneless.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Don't make it more work then it really is just use Kosher Salt and Black pepper rub after you tie it up as round as you can get it. Place it on a rack on top of a 9" X 13" pan. You want it high on the pan so the heat circulates all around the roast. Preheat to oven to 250 degrees and place to roast in the oven. It will take about 3-1/2 to 4 hours or so to reach 110 degrees internal temp. Take it out and cover it with the thermometer still in the meat and it will rise to 120 degrees for medium rare. It is as simple as that.
  • All great recipes & THANKS TO ALL for sharing! Recipe will be "GAME TIME DECISION"... SIMPLE & SLOW may be the way to go with this one. Look forward to getting this baby going. HAPPY EASTER!