Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Another Use For a Weedburner

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Asiatic Jasmine, the previous owner planted it and didn't use metal bed liner to contain it. Chemical warfare didn't work so now we are cooking with gas. If you will look at the upper left you will see where the villainous vines have grown through the medium's nest and anchored it in place..
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Holy crap! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I do think that is the intended use for a weedburner... sayin
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It is like shaving an elephant with a disposable Bic. I don’t seem to be getting the jet of flame that I need. Of course I had to buy a propane tank since I have never owned a gas grill.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Gulf, I believe that you need one of these. Just sayin...............

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    SGH what I need, what I want, and what I got are three different things. I added another application of 2 4D. I thought about a couple of gallons of diesel and a match but OSFD gets pissy about that.
  • SGH
    Options
    Try getting your hands on some:
    2, 4, D, LV6. It’s much more potent than 2, 4, D LV4. Mix the LV6 50/50 with glyphosate and it will kill just about anything. You can order the LV6 off of the internet. It’s a little pricy, but worth every penny.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you have access to this:

It will kill anything. It’s what the railroad uses to spray the tacks with once a year and nothing grows. Be warned, it’s a ground sterilizer. A single line sprayed on the ground will kill everything within 8 foot on both sides of the line. What I’m saying is if you spray a fence row, everything within 8 foot of both sides of the fence will die. Several states restrict the sale of Arsenal due to its extreme potency. For those that don’t, it’s several hundred dollars per gallon depending on the potency purchased. As of right now, this is as good as it gets. The only down side is it kills the ground for atleast 6 months. More often than not, the ground is dead for a year.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Sorry for the upside down pic above. 

Status- Standing by.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well I only own one side of that fence. Don’t particularly like the neighbor but law suits are annoying.
     I might have to rent more powerful equipment than I have after Easter.
  • SGH
    Options
    Well I only own one side of that fence. 
    Steer clear of the Arsenal then my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It is like shaving an elephant with a disposable Bic. I don’t seem to be getting the jet of flame that I need. Of course I had to buy a propane tank since I have never owned a gas grill.
    New propane bottles have a cut off if gas flow immediately jumps.  Open the propane tank valve, keep weedBurner valve mostly closed.  Get weedBurner lit, then slowly crank up the weedBurner valve.  Jet flame will ensue.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks, I will try it that way tomorrow.
  • SGH
    Options
    New propane bottles have a cut off if gas flow immediately jumps.  
    To me the new bottles are a real pain in the a$$. I’m jumping to a considerably larger tank to circumvent the issue. But I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they install the limiting valves on them as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    What was Pita was having to discover that the tank is left hand thread....and that my adjustable wrench was frozen. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Use rock salt. Nothing will grow there again 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @SGH is on it, mix 2-4-d and round up. After that I would lay black road fabric and mulch over it.   Personally I would mow it, till it, seed or sod and keep it mowed. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    Options
    @alaskanassasin
    What part of Alaska are you in? I ask because I have worked all over Alaska in the past. I loved it up there.  

Status- Standing by.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    @SGH is on it, mix 2-4-d and round up. After that I would lay black road fabric and mulch over it.   Personally I would mow it, till it, seed or sod and keep it mowed. 
    The extended plan is to put raised bed planters in that area eventually. As far as mowing it down, that will require me renting far stronger equipment than I presently have. I will try som roundup tomorrow. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Rent some goats. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Inside city limits. They ignore backyard chicken coops but the dweeb on the other side of that fence would rat me out to the city if I got a herd of goats.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Besides I have raised sheep many years ago and sheep are basically hairy goats. They smell, are loud, and are ingenious in ways of killing them selves. I am probably the only person on the forum who has milked an ewe.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    Besides I have raised sheep many years ago and sheep are basically hairy goats. They smell, are loud, and are ingenious in ways of killing them selves. I am probably the only person on the forum who has milked an ewe.
    No your not.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Inside city limits. They ignore backyard chicken coops but the dweeb on the other side of that fence would rat me out to the city if I got a herd of goats.
    Of course I've heard of goats. 

You don't need to keep the goats, you just need to borrow them for a day or two.

A friend had two goats and would loan them out to people all the time. They were on leashes and he would bring them over and tie them to a tree, fence, stake, whatever, and put out a big bucket of water. All you gotta do is make sure they had water. In a day they would clear the area and you move them over to the next spot. He got them to clear his overgrown 10 acres. After that, they maintained his yard and cleared brush for friends. He never had to mow. But they did stink, especially the one that was not cut. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    If that is anything like ivy, the plants produce a waxy coating on the older growth. Spraying chemicals on it is often useless because it can't get through the wax. If you shear it back, the new growth doesn't have the coating yet, and is susceptible to the chemical. Maybe.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    SGH said:
    @alaskanassasin
    What part of Alaska are you in? I ask because I have worked all over Alaska in the past. I loved it up there.  

I now live in Ohio. I was born and raised on the Kenai Peninsula. My pa and two brothers are still up there, my older bro works for a oil company, I couldn’t tell you which one because they are bought and sold so often!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    If you go raised bed route make sure you line the bottom with some heavy duty fabric!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The weed burner will make it worse!! I burned all my weeds down by my beach area and it came back quicker and 3 times thicker after!! I had some weeds now I have freaking grass down there.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    If you cut the plant back or burn ut back there is still energy in the plants root system. As soon as it starts growing out again you need to continue to hit it with flame or cut it back pronto.

Eventually the root system will run out of energy and won't be able to send up new shoots and the plant will die.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk