Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Follow-up: There is a difference

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I just finished my first bag of Rockwood. It performed flawlessly. Since I had four bags of Royal Oak left and my source for Rockwood is an hour away, I broke one of those out. The contrast was immediately clear. I've always been pleased with Royal Oak but I have to say there really is a difference. The Rockwood lights easier, burns longer and cleaner, smells better, and is much more responsive to changes in airflow than the Royal Oak. I guess it's time to make a bulk Rockwood purchase.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I guess if I never try Rockwood I will always be happy with my Royal Oak...

Kind like skiing when I was younger. I would not travel West to the bigger mountains with powder snow. I knew it would ruin skiing here in the Northeast for me with our ice covered slopes.

Ahh heck! I am going to have to try Rockwood. May be just what is needed for foods wanting a very neutral smoke profile. 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I’ve got a shout out for their bags as well - left a partial out back with the top just rolled closed a few weeks ago.  Lots of rain later and the lump was dry and it lit right up and got to temp without a problem.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I’ve got a shout out for their bags as well - left a partial out back with the top just rolled closed a few weeks ago.  Lots of rain later and the lump was dry and it lit right up and got to temp without a problem.
    I have to disagree. I left one out last night with the top wide open and it got water all inside the bag. They really need to work on that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @Teefus - thanks for your personal assessment.  Welcome to the Rockwood side.  I will burn RO if all I want are BTU's (paella cook).  Many lump offerings out there as you note, just find one that you are good with and understand.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    What? Rockwood lump is not water repellant??  Geez- the last thing I need is another "find the center-cut, water repellant, glows in the dark, burns forever, no ash residue lump."  And it's 5 days til Friday!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have to disagree. I left one out last night with the top wide open and it got water all inside the bag. They really need to work on that. 
    Snowflake.  Did you forget to cut drain holes in the bottom?  Either roll the top or go with drain holes.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Snowflake.  Did you forget to cut drain holes in the bottom?  Either roll the top or go with drain holes.
    Jonathan should put that on the bag:  “Rockwood, it’s your fault” 

I expect more from my lump packaging. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Options
    Just don’t try re-stitching the bag.  That’s 2 1/2 hours I’ll never get back.
  • Legume
    Options
    Zipper would be nice, is that too much to ask?
  • Legume
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What? Rockwood lump is not water repellant??  Geez- the last thing I need is another "find the center-cut, water repellant, glows in the dark, burns forever, no ash residue lump."  And it's 5 days til Friday!
    Center cut comes in a trash bag, so it’s always dry.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I always open a new bag. I won’t say what kind as it causes international issues but I vacuum pack each lump individually to ensure freshness and peak performance. 
    Individual packed is gonna be the wave of the future. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Legume said:
    It takes me 2 1/2 hours to un-stitch the bag...  :|

The feature I liked about Rockwood, that I missed in prior discussions, is that the smoke goes clear so much quicker than anything else I've used (BGE, RO, and <gaaack> Cowboy).  I'm wondering, since I'm able to start cooking so much sooner, if that doesn't offset the extra cost of the RW.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Botch said:
    Legume said:
    It takes me 2 1/2 hours to un-stitch the bag...  :|

The feature I liked about Rockwood, that I missed in prior discussions, is that the smoke goes clear so much quicker than anything else I've used (BGE, RO, and <gaaack> Cowboy).  I'm wondering, since I'm able to start cooking so much sooner, if that doesn't offset the extra cost of the RW.  
    My medium heats up so quickly with clean smoke (400F in +/- 20 mins) that it makes weeknight egging not only feasible but easy. 
  • Teefus
    Options
    Botch said:
    This.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just have to pound the start-up adult beverages a little faster!
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Legume said:
    They have been working on that, putting double strings on the bag to keep rascals such as yourself from leaving prime cut lump out in the rain. Some folks just work harder for no reason, put some gasoline on that bag an get egging. =)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    gmac said:
    I always open a new bag. I won’t say what kind as it causes international issues 
    Maple Leaf and Basques for sure, I use that all the time^^^ but, I am trying rockwood right now and it is better! 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • 22FireBall22
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Legume said:
    They have been working on that, putting double strings on the bag to keep rascals such as yourself from leaving prime cut lump out in the rain. Some folks just work harder for no reason, put some gasoline on that bag an get egging. =)

All this talk about stitching and open vs rolled bags is very confusing to a newbie like me. I thought you were supposed to put the whole bag in the egg and light it like match lite!

Rules for Living on the Suwannee River
    Rule # 1 - Don't sweat the small stuff!
    Rule # 2 - Everything is small stuff!
  • Teefus
    Options
    Pro tip - I keep my lump in a galvanized trash can with a cover. No issue with moisture, or the troublesome restitching of the bag to keep the rain out =) . Just drop the bag in and pop the cover on. I use smaller versions to store my smoking wood. Bride of Teefus loves the shiny exterior too  ;)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Pro tip - I keep my lump in a galvanized trash can with a cover. No issue with moisture, or the troublesome restitching of the bag to keep the rain out =) . Just drop the bag in and pop the cover on. I use smaller versions to store my smoking wood. Bride of Teefus loves the shiny exterior too  ;)

I just set mine in the garage. I already have one of those.

What do you use for trash?

Just bustin on ya.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    R eliable
    O utstanding performance
    C harcoal at its best
    K eeps an even burn rate
    W orth the cost
    O rdinary lump can't compete
    O nly hardwoods used for lump
    D on't use anything else
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    R eliable
    O utstanding performance
    C harcoal at its best
    K eeps an even burn rate
    W orth the cost
    D on't use anything else
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFP3uD_gXsQ

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    R eliable
    O utstanding performance
    C harcoal at its best
    K eeps an even burn rate
    W orth the cost
    D on't use anything else

While Suzy is brilliant in her on right.....he is doing this without even a Nicole. What brilliance.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Teefus
    Options
    Teefus said:

I just set mine in the garage. I already have one of those.

What do you use for trash?

Just bustin on ya.
    My lump sits out on the deck with my Egg, so a weatherproof container is a must. Trash (what little we generate) goes in a container in the garage so woodland creatures can't get at it.

I use another can like the one above for sunflower seeds that I feed the birds. It sits out on the deck too. The squirrels get pretty angry when they can smell the seeds but can't get at them. I've had more than one occasion where one of the little fur balls has shown his disdain by pissing all over the lid.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    R eliable
    O utstanding performance
    C harcoal at its best
    K eeps an even burn rate
    W orth the cost
    D on't use anything else
    I'll see your acronym and raise it with a haiku:

Royal Oak charcoal
    Just as good at half the price
    Why use anything else

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    YukonRon said:
    R eliable
    O utstanding performance
    C harcoal at its best
    K eeps an even burn rate
    W orth the cost
    D on't use anything else
    I'll see your acronym and raise it with a haiku:

Royal Oak charcoal
    Just as good at half the price
    Why use anything else

Beautiful work!
    Thanks for the laugh.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    R eliable
    O utstanding performance
    C harcoal at its best
    K eeps an even burn rate
    W orth the cost
    D on't use anything else

While Suzy is brilliant in her on right.....he is doing this without even a Nicole. What brilliance.
    Hammered that out in two minutes while waiting on a CC to start.
    That BS was not legendary, just goofy, as you should always expect from me.
    The Haiku, now, that is skill at another level.....I got nothing..when it comes to meaningful, well thought out poetry, in the ancient art form of east Asia.
    I think most, on here, that comment on anything I write, fall into my catagory.... with too much time.
    Just sayin'.
    Peace.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Rockwood + Smobot = Easy cooks.  That's all.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I want to get a SMOBOT. Everyone that has one seems to like them.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I want to get a SMOBOT. Everyone that has one seems to like them.
    Does it adapt to your WFO? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga