Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast - Instant Pot (∴ OT)

Options
@blind99's pot roast post the other day looked so good, I had to give it a shot. Had every intention of egging it per blind's directions, but couldn't resist the lure of my month old IP! First time I've done one of these in a long time. Wow! Just WOW!!

I followed Amy and Jacky's recipe almost exactly, except I had no mushrooms. Also, I cooked the meat for 50 minutes instead of their suggested 45. Their's looked like they had to slice it and I was looking for something more pullable. 50 was perfect for my not very thick chuck. Total time was about 2:45 including prep, pressurizing, cook times and natural release).

Nothing fancy, it's just pot roast, but it was one of the best pieces of meat - any kind of meat - I've had in a LONG time. My pot roasts don't usually do very well when reheated, but this one was almost as good as the first serving. Good gravy too. Next time, I'll definitely get a bigger chuck roast, now that I know I won't be stuck with meh leftovers. This one was less than 1.3 lb. (was gonna make hamburger out of it).

I didn't get a pic of the first serving, but I did get one before I ate leftovers the next day. Forgot to include the homemade crusty bread in the pic.
 Needs something green. Maybe peas next time. And there WILL be a next time! Also, might do mashed potatoes instead of these.

Here's Amy and Jacky's version...
Image result for amy and jackys pot roast

A delicious meal! Thanks for lookin'!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• bigbang1955
    Options
    That looks awesome!  Ever thought of browning the roast on the egg before you pressure cook?  Might add a little smoky flavor.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks awesome!  Ever thought of browning the roast on the egg before you pressure cook?  Might add a little smoky flavor.
    Thanks, it might at that. The recipe calls for searing 10 minutes per side, which is longer that I usually go. 20 minutes is probably better than no minutes for smoke flavor, though not the same as an all afternoon smoke. 20 gives a nice crust too. I didn't take a pic of the sear, but they did...
    Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe - Browning the chuck roast will greatly enhance the flavor of the end product

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Seared mine on the egg for ~3 min/side at ~500, then cooked in the IP. DANG GOOD!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Seared mine on the egg for ~3 min/side at ~500, then cooked in the IP. DANG GOOD!!!
    Did you use the same Amy/Jacky recipe? Tons of flavor!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Outlaw56
    Outlaw56 Posts: 27
    Options
    What is an IP?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Outlaw56 said:
    What is an IP?
    Instant Pot pressure cooker
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
     Maybe peas next time.
    Please no.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    buzd504 said:
     Maybe peas next time.
    Please no.
    LOVE peas! Except... Tried 'em on a pizza once. Supposedly the most popular pizza topping in Brazil, had to try it. Meh. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Peas on pizza??  That’s worse than ketchup on hotdogs.  Or for you Texans, beans in your chili.

edit:  Nice chuckie .  We love our IP.  Try Mississippi pot roast sometime.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Peas on pizza??  That’s worse than ketchup on hotdogs.  Or for you Texans, beans in your chili.
    Hey, I figured a country the size of Brazil couldn't be all wrong. Besides, nothing's as bad as ketchup on a dog! 

It's been a couple of years since I did that pie. Haven't been back and no plans to go there again.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Looks good!

What size IP do you have? 

I have an 8qt and am finding the recipes are typically for the 6qt and the cooking times differ. 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    Looks good!

What size IP do you have? 

I have an 8qt and am finding the recipes are typically for the 6qt and the cooking times differ. 
    Mine's a 6 quart, though I also have an 8 qt Presto stovetop PC.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    finally! An IP cooking page that doesn't require the reader to wade through paragraph after paragraph of unrelated personal babble just to get to any real information.

Think I'm going to try this one next week.
    Gittin' there...
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Try their mushroom risotto. Best I have had.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.