Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Q for portable grillin’

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I’ve been looking into getting a new portable grill for quite some time. I’ve always had a Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe on hand for the last 10 years and came real close to getting Minimax last year but realized I need something a little easier to cool down and not have to worry about coal disposal since I’m going to be using this mostly for concert tailgating. This rig caught my eye: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FDOONEC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519843412&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=weber+q&dpPl=1&dpID=41yLW9ky7KL&ref=plSrch

Anyone else have experience with these rigs and can recommend a certain model?
I cooked on my brother in laws last summer and was surprised how
un-gas-like they cook. The whole feel with the cast iron
grates and big hoop burner is nice.

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I have one that I use when we are RVing. It’s a decent little grill for what we use it for, typically chicken parts or steaks. I can’t remember exactly what model I have, but I can cook enough protein for my family of 5. 
    It’s definitely more portable than a MM or small, but I sure like the food better off my eggs. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    Options
    i also have one. its a great small portable gasser. i use mine at the beach. i recently got the cart and plan to keep using it for picnicking. its a good addition to your grilling tools if you want something small, portable, no coal mess, and reasonable good tasting food.   
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    It has about the same amount of real estate as the Smokey Joe, without the charcoal mess that’s for sure. Heat at <9000BTU is not so great.
    I like the Smokey Joe Gold - no bottom vent. Keeps the ash inside the unit, it extinguishes and travels very well. When open, used as a grill, you can get some serious sear heat. Good luck on your choice.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have the Weber Q 1200 that I got for 1/2 price at Wally world. It is a good little gasser. It is a gasser so you don't get charcoal flavor like an egg, but I do find that you get some flavor from the fat/juice vaporizing as it hits the cast aluminum. I really like the grid on this little guy. It is porcelain enamel and so far it shows no signs of chipping or flaking and cleans up pretty easily. 

The 1200 has little plastic shelves, electronic ignition, and a thermometer. It cooks just the same as the 1000 with some bells and whistles. They also have a 2000/2200 series which is similar but about 50% bigger. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've had two of them and used them regularly while out quading or camping.  They have had issues with the regulator, but that can be replaced.  It is built well, but I think I prefer a jumbo joe.

My dream portable grill is the newer PK grill - not sure it will ever happen.  It's pretty hard to justify (for me).

https://www.pkgrills.com/the-new-pk360-grill-smoker-capsule/

Phoenix 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    It has about the same amount of real estate as the Smokey Joe, without the charcoal mess that’s for sure. Heat at <9000BTU is not so great.
    I like the Smokey Joe Gold - no bottom vent. Keeps the ash inside the unit, it extinguishes and travels very well. When open, used as a grill, you can get some serious sear heat. Good luck on your choice.   
    Oh man, just the thought of a Smokey Joe Gold Is giving me serious grill acquisition syndrome. I love Smokey Joes. My first non-gasser was a USA made Smokey Joe with a THICK gauge grate. As thick as the ones they put in the premium 22” Gold kettle.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Here are a couple things we cooke on my friends Weber Q. Tasted Great!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

It will never be as fun as Ceramic Cooking...but a solid little cooker.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas