Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo

Options
bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Bucket list item for us. We'll be there.  Anyone else?  And it's a lot about the food.
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Man, that would be awesome! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Man, that would be awesome! 
    Join us.
  • blind99
    Options
    Don’t tempt me. I would love to visit Japan!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Tempt delivered.  Already mapping the plan.  Can you say sushi? ;)
  • blind99
    Options
    Heck yeah. I think my dining plan would be to point at anything on the menu and eat whatever was put in front of me.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Heck yeah. I think my dining plan would be to point at anything on the menu and eat whatever was put in front of me.
    We're there.  If you wish to join us, we'd welcome that.  PM me brother.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Winter games were spectacular.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    The women's hockey, cross-country skiing, and curling were as good as it gets. The hosts seemed to do a great job with this one.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    The women's hockey, cross-country skiing, and curling were as good as it gets. The hosts seemed to do a great job with this one.
    Agreed!  You know the Japanese will do it right.  Just a fun reason for us to be there.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'll be there... I'm there once a month.  Love the food!

Midori sushi Ginza.. It's like Franklins, always a line.

Torishige yakitori Ginza

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I doubt we'll make the Olympics that year, but there's a decent chance that we'll make it to the 2020 European Soccer Championships.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Can’t believe how into the curling I got. Wife thought I was nuts, whooping and hollering every time the US made a good throw!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    That is very interesting .  We have not taken a BIG/Huge vacation in quite some time.  Who are you booking through?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I did that once when over in Barcelona. I just pointed on the menu having no idea what I'd just ordered. They brought out some big appetizer which I assumed was my meal. I was quite confused when they brought out another plate full of food. On top of that they brought out a dessert afterwards. It was quite fun. I fully recommend it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @jabam Given NBC whatever feed (unless streaming over the computer) couldn't put it on TV til delayed at 3AM (EST) you must have been enjoying quite an evening.  Congrats!  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    That is very interesting .  We have not taken a BIG/Huge vacation in quite some time.  Who are you booking through?

Still researching.  Still too early to book.  May use Amex platinum service but not sure.
  • bucky925
    Options
    Amex looks great, but from what I understand you are shoe horned to one airline.  I may be misinformed. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Brent, please keep me informed. You know we like our trips. We might be in for this, but need to know a bit more information before you get our full commitment. We always wanted to go to the Olympics. Personally, I would rather the winter, but my wife cant handle the cold to well so this might be opportunity knocking on our door......
    Are you thinking of going all in? Opening ceremonies, many events? And is this a trip to Japan and see some Olympics OR a trip to see Olympics, and they happen to be in Japan?

@sumoconnell you are in Japan about once a month?  That is a heck of a commute!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Brent, please keep me informed. You know we like our trips. We might be in for this, but need to know a bit more information before you get our full commitment. We always wanted to go to the Olympics. Personally, I would rather the winter, but my wife cant handle the cold to well so this might be opportunity knocking on our door......
    Are you thinking of going all in? Opening ceremonies, many events? And is this a trip to Japan and see some Olympics OR a trip to see Olympics, and they happen to be in Japan?

@sumoconnell you are in Japan about once a month?  That is a heck of a commute!

Mark, I'll keep you utd.  Let's discuss more at BB.  All in for the games and Japan.
  • distanceman
    Options
    @bgebrent have you been to Japan before? I spent two years there, though in the Northern part where it snowed a ton! I really miss the ramen...I like sushi, but the ramen was unbelievable. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @bgebrent have you been to Japan before? I spent two years there, though in the Northern part where it snowed a ton! I really miss the ramen...I like sushi, but the ramen was unbelievable. 
    Only been to China, not Japan.  Part of the motivation.  Interested in any advice you may have.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just got to a Tokyo Benihana.  Same find, but you save on all that flight Andy hotel $$$. You can thank me later.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Just got to a Tokyo Benihana.  Same find, but you save on all that flight Andy hotel $$$. You can thank me later.   
    Which Olympic events and medal ceremonies did you make? :o
  • blind99
    Options
    thetrim said:

took the family to benihana a few months ago, thought it would be fun for the kids.  literally everything was cooked in huge glops of butter, and seasoned with an avalanche of salt.  much stomach pain ensued.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I'll be there... I'm there once a month.  Love the food!

Midori sushi Ginza.. It's like Franklins, always a line.

Torishige yakitori Ginza

I'm speechless....new bucket list item
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Meet us in Tokyo.  @DoubleEgger is gonna be the money man and @blind99 is lookout. ;).  We'll be there.
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Only been to China, not Japan.  Part of the motivation.  Interested in any advice you may have.
    @bgebrent Sorry for the delay--was thinking about some advice.

As you probably expect, China and Japan are two completely different experiences (I've been to Beijing & Tibet). The Japanese are very polite and respectful--their work ethic and "hustle" is unsurpassed. A decent amount speak english, so they are sometimes helpful if you're lost/confused. Especially in Tokyo. I've been to Japan once for work, and lived up north in Misawa for 2 years. Other than being far from the USA, and the fact that I wanted an Egg/Komado for 2 years and had to wait (which SUCKED...I obsessed over it daily), I really miss it. 

It's really expensive, but get there as early as you can. The jet lag sucks...we made the trip with a 2 and 4 year old 3 times total in 2 years. Brutal. 

You shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out the train system there, though it is confusing. The stations usually have some folks in booths/offices that speak decent english and can help you. As a Visa tourist, you should qualify for the 2-3 week train pass, which is pretty cheap (I think a few hundred) and can go almost anywhere in the greater Tokyo area. In contrast, I didn't qualify for that pass living there, and it was about 250+ roundtrip to Tokyo. The trains, when it's busy, can be overwhelming. The cram you in there big time...and I got pretty amped up on more than one occasion. 

If you have time, go to the Edo-Tokyo Museum and follow one of the tour guides. A really cool and relatively quick history of Japan. It really filled in some gaps i had on their culture/history. Well worth it. Also, if able, make it to Kyoto. I never made it down there because it was expensive and far away...but this is the last remaining "old school" Japan area--it's probably what you think of when you think of vintage Japan.

Finally, food...if you want to pony up the money, try some of that world renowned Kobe beef. I never did, because I'm too cheap. As I alluded above, I flat out loved the ramen. It was amazing. You're probably thinking...Top Ramen, big deal. Trust me, it is life changing if you get the good stuff. I just googled Ramen in Google Maps, and went to places based on ratings. I loved a miso and spicy broth...and some type of meat (usually pork). Sushi is obviously good, but I wasn't a huge fan of exotic stuff--I stuck to the California roll, salmon and a few things like smoked duck and oyster (i.e. fake sushi). There are also plenty of places where you cook your own meat--called Yakuniku. Those are pretty good. One last...is a place called Ichiban Coco's Curry House. AMAZING. Get the hand breaded pork cutlet, cheese and you can tell them whatever spice you want w/ the rice. So good!

Oh and one last. If you have a world-wide capable phone--I had an iPhone--you can buy a SIM card that gets pretty good service for maybe 30 bucks a month. I think you get minutes and something like 500mb or something of data per day. Pretty good deal...you'll need it! I used Google Translate and Google Maps CONSTANTLY, even after living there 2 years. 

Anyways, this should be a good start--and probably too much. Hit me up when it gets closer if you want, or while you're planning.

Good luck! Mike

Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent Sorry for the delay--was thinking about some advice.

As you probably expect, China and Japan are two completely different experiences (I've been to Beijing & Tibet). The Japanese are very polite and respectful--their work ethic and "hustle" is unsurpassed. A decent amount speak english, so they are sometimes helpful if you're lost/confused. Especially in Tokyo. I've been to Japan once for work, and lived up north in Misawa for 2 years. Other than being far from the USA, and the fact that I wanted an Egg/Komado for 2 years and had to wait (which SUCKED...I obsessed over it daily), I really miss it. 

It's really expensive, but get there as early as you can. The jet lag sucks...we made the trip with a 2 and 4 year old 3 times total in 2 years. Brutal. 

You shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out the train system there, though it is confusing. The stations usually have some folks in booths/offices that speak decent english and can help you. As a Visa tourist, you should qualify for the 2-3 week train pass, which is pretty cheap (I think a few hundred) and can go almost anywhere in the greater Tokyo area. In contrast, I didn't qualify for that pass living there, and it was about 250+ roundtrip to Tokyo. The trains, when it's busy, can be overwhelming. The cram you in there big time...and I got pretty amped up on more than one occasion. 

If you have time, go to the Edo-Tokyo Museum and follow one of the tour guides. A really cool and relatively quick history of Japan. It really filled in some gaps i had on their culture/history. Well worth it. Also, if able, make it to Kyoto. I never made it down there because it was expensive and far away...but this is the last remaining "old school" Japan area--it's probably what you think of when you think of vintage Japan.

Finally, food...if you want to pony up the money, try some of that world renowned Kobe beef. I never did, because I'm too cheap. As I alluded above, I flat out loved the ramen. It was amazing. You're probably thinking...Top Ramen, big deal. Trust me, it is life changing if you get the good stuff. I just googled Ramen in Google Maps, and went to places based on ratings. I loved a miso and spicy broth...and some type of meat (usually pork). Sushi is obviously good, but I wasn't a huge fan of exotic stuff--I stuck to the California roll, salmon and a few things like smoked duck and oyster (i.e. fake sushi). There are also plenty of places where you cook your own meat--called Yakuniku. Those are pretty good. One last...is a place called Ichiban Coco's Curry House. AMAZING. Get the hand breaded pork cutlet, cheese and you can tell them whatever spice you want w/ the rice. So good!

Oh and one last. If you have a world-wide capable phone--I had an iPhone--you can buy a SIM card that gets pretty good service for maybe 30 bucks a month. I think you get minutes and something like 500mb or something of data per day. Pretty good deal...you'll need it! I used Google Translate and Google Maps CONSTANTLY, even after living there 2 years. 

Anyways, this should be a good start--and probably too much. Hit me up when it gets closer if you want, or while you're planning.

Good luck! Mike

Thank you for the great advice!  Very helpful brother.  I'll definitely ping closer to time.
  • bucky925
    Options
    I have been doing a little dilly dilly with airfare .  Of course you can't book that far in advance, but to just get a idea.  Mrs. Bucky says I'm NOT a good travler. So if we did 13.5 hours on a plane in her words....she would have to drug me. 

When she visited our daughter doing mission work on Molokia (I had to work) on a direct flight from Charlotte the pilot told them to look out the window and see the golden grate bridge, we are half way there.  Cindy said she was ready to deplane right then and there!