Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Substitute bacon for ham hock???

Has anyone ever substituted bacon in place of a ham hock while cooking pinto beans?  Thoughts....suggestions.....

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,000
    Almost always. Usually just a tablespoon of bacon grease though, not the bacon. Though if I don't have any grease, I'll cook 3-4 slices of bacon, crumble it up and leave it there with the grease.

Never seem to have a ham hock. Just bought a few the other day. Still to be  smoked though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,564
    I use bacon in pinto beans. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 11,951
    I normally buy a ham steak and cube it. 
  • JohnEggGioJohnEggGio Posts: 389
    I would stick with the smoked hock - I like to cook ‘em till they nearly disintegrate.  Pull
    out the skin and be sure to get all the bones.  I don’t think the bacon would impart as much flavor and “silkiness” to the beans, and the bacon would end up rubbery.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bucky925bucky925 Posts: 964
    For me, a ham hock is just too salty.  Grainted I/we don't use a lot of salt in our meals.  I do salt my salad if that's weird.  
    Live fast. die young, and leave a well marbled corps. 
  • The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 819
    Bacon, yes.  Jowl, yes.  Hock's, yes.... They each work and add a different texture/taste to the dish

In a full time state of entropious nebulinity as Head Brewmeister and Chief Flatulator @ Rancho Loco Brewery and Flatutorium, Kirkland, TN

• gamasongamason Posts: 333
    Try some smoked turkey wings in those pintos. You'll never regret it.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• AcnAcn Posts: 2,542
    bucky925 said:
    For me, a ham hock is just too salty.  Grainted I/we don't use a lot of salt in our meals.  I do salt my salad if that's weird.  
    Ask at your grocery store, I know that I can get fresh hocks at Wegmans, and then brine/smoke them myself to control the salt.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• 20stone20stone Posts: 1,481
    Tasso is also a great "condiment meat" for beans.

A lot of stores will have frozen smoked hocks, which work great.  The hock has a ton of collagen in the bones which make gellatin, and and a great texture that bacon or bacon fat will not.
    LBGE since 2008 and a MM from 2016
    Karubeque C-60 Dishwasher (when time is no object)
    Owner of multiple large scale refrigeration devices (sometimes too many)
    Vertically integrated BBQ and charcuterie operator, for recreational use only
    Elicitor of secrets from goats through unconventional methods
    Sourdough bread enthusiast

Houston, TX

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,002
    always used a half pound salt pork to a pound of beans, no bacon here
  • OhioEggerOhioEgger Posts: 461
    Why would anyone even hesitate to add bacon to ... well, almost anything?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,002
    OhioEgger said:
    salt pork has more silky goodness (fat) than bacon
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,317
    OhioEgger said:
    Fat back is an essential product to have in your fridge.  

I always save my ham bones and shoulder/butt bones from the Egg.  Wrap them well with aluminum foil and then zip lock to use for later items.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
    OhioEgger said:

I always save my ham bones and shoulder/butt bones from the Egg.  Wrap them well with aluminum foil and then zip lock to use for later items.  
    @tarheelmatt, what do you do with the blade bone from a butt? That's the cut I usually buy and have never thought to keep the bone.

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,317
    OhioEgger said:

@tarheelmatt, what do you do with the blade bone from a butt? That's the cut I usually buy and have never thought to keep the bone.
    I save them too, try to leave some meat on them if possible.  Most times they come out clean.  I like doing whole shoulders, instead of just a butt though.  

You can take many, and make a stock out of it.  Then use that stock for what you will.  Cabbage, green beans, crowder peas, etc.  

For my Butt Blast dish last year, I used bone stock with my SV cabbage rolls.  I added bacon too for added flavor.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
    @tarheelmatt, gotcha. Thanks.

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,738
    Not only use hocks over bacon in beans i smoke my own hocks. 

smoked hocks

350 indirect (I do so few indirect cooks). I like a mix of cherry and sugar maple wood. Use both with and w/o bones. Vac & Freeze. No rubs, no S&P, no nothing except smoke.  Just like I do my hams. 

Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• GoldenQGoldenQ Posts: 229
    I use 2 strips thick bacon plus cubed smoked ham      ham hocks get too much grease in the beans for me.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • 20stone20stone Posts: 1,481
    GoldenQ said:
    ham hocks get too much grease in the beans for me.
    Maybe you could trim them down before smoking, but the gelatin in the bones is transformative to a pot of beans. 

Mickey said:

smoked hocks

350 indirect (I do so few indirect cooks). I like a mix of cherry and sugar maple wood. Use both with and w/o bones. Vac & Freeze. No rubs, no S&P, no nothing except smoke.  Just like I do my hams. 

But of course you do. 
    +1 on not seasoning "condiment meat". Also, doing a big batch means you can always pull one out of the freezer.
    LBGE since 2008 and a MM from 2016
    Karubeque C-60 Dishwasher (when time is no object)
    Owner of multiple large scale refrigeration devices (sometimes too many)
    Vertically integrated BBQ and charcuterie operator, for recreational use only
    Elicitor of secrets from goats through unconventional methods
    Sourdough bread enthusiast

Houston, TX

Mickey said:

smoked hocks

Those look great - looks like a lot of fat has been rendered.  I don’t recall ever seeing fresh hocks. I’ll be on the lookout now.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
    @JohnEggGio, I rarely see them out on the shelf either, but sometimes they have 'em in the back. Ask the butcher.

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

@Carolina Q Thanks!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE