Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cheap cuts of beef

sams had a 3.75lb round roast marked down to 11.21. We like to smoke it to IT of about 120 for the smoke flavor and then into the CP with the French onion for several hours. Severed over mashed potatoes.

Comments

• SoCalTimSoCalTim Posts: 2,155
    When you say 'cheap' are you talking price or grade? Select??
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 5,654
    You used to could say that about brisket. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • posterposter Posts: 542

shhhh, if people find out the cheap cuts can be turned into something good the price will drive up, like chicken wings, brisket and short ribs.

sounds good by the way, any finished shots?

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,993
    sounds good to me, do you go for sliced or shredded
  • WoodchunkWoodchunk Posts: 638
    SoCalTim said:
    When you say 'cheap' are you talking price or grade? Select??
    Price mainly and cut. 
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,994
    Sounds delicious! Got a pressure cooker instead? Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised at under an hour. 'Course, your house probably smells better for longer your way. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Sounds delicious! Got a pressure cooker instead? Don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised at under an hour. 'Course, your house probably smells better for longer your way. =)
    No PC. And yes, smells better, taste better ;)

Shredded
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,993
    Woodchunk said:

Shredded
    that would be my choice too, would heavily pepper the mash as well. when i was a kid we had it on powdered mashed potatoes heavily peppered, one of my favorite meals growing up
    edited February 9
    Woodchunk said:

Shredded
    that would be my choice too, would heavily pepper the mash as well. when i was a kid we had it on powdered mashed potatoes heavily peppered, one of my favorite meals growing up
    Yep, she just bought a new box of the powdered mash yesterday and we love pepper
    In the pot with a nice crust, pulled at 125, will cook the rest of the afternoon. Took 1 3/4 hrs at 300 dome. 
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 2,022
    Ok I’m intrigued. At first by the Beef...

but you guys are saying that the POWDERED mash is a vital part of the dish? Not regular mash. Powdered?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

edited February 9
    Ok I’m intrigued. At first by the Beef...

but you guys are saying that the POWDERED mash is a vital part of the dish? Not regular mash. Powdered?
    Either is fine. We really like these for mashed potatoes, can be kicked up any way that you like for your taste buds. Garlic,pepper, and butter are great
    It fell apart, had great smokey flavor. Wife had the sandwich and I had the potatoes.
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,563

"If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT