Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket Chili Recepies

YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,238
What is yours?

Here is mine:

Ingredients and prep:

4 pounds of leftover pecan smoked brisket, trimmed of all excess fat. cut into small inch square pieces.
4 sweet onions, chopped very fine
4 roasted red peppers chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1tsp celery seeds
1tsp celery salt
2-3 tablespoons of EVOO

1 1/2 cups of a dry red wine

2/3 cup of chili powder
1 TBL spoon oregano
1 TBL spoon granulated garlic
1 TBL spoon of granulated onion or onion powder
6 14.5 oz cans of diced "chili ready" tomatoes
2 tsp cayenne

1 28 oz can of reduced sodium tomato sauce
1 46 oz low sodium original V8 Juice
1 32 oz low sodium beef broth
1 16 oz low sodium chicken broth

on medium heat, heat the evoo. 
Add onion, red peppers, garlic, celery salt and celery seeds, cook, stirring frequently untill onions turn translucent
When the onions are soft, add chili powder, oregano, granulated garlic, onion powder, dicedtomatoes and cayenne
stir vigorously until all are mixrd in, and let cook for about 2 minutes.
Add wine and stir it into the mix very well.

Let this cook for about ten minutes to reduce down the wine. Drink the remaining wine. open second bottle and let breathe while chili cooks.

Add the tomato sauce, V8, and beef broth and the chicken broth.

Cook for about three hours on reduced heat until brisket begins to fall apart, stir vigorously frequently to help break down the brisket.

This should make about 3-4 gallons. great in a bowl, on potatoes, nachos, you name it. 

It goes quickly.

Drink the wine.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,540
    This is actually very close to my "recipe".  Instead of using celery seeds/celery salt, I use actual celery.  It's never occurred to me to roast the red peppers - that's a great idea (I will also use green/yellow/orange or whatever's available).  I will also get an array of whatever chili peppers are available at the store (poblano, anaheim, jalepeno, serrano, etc).

I will also get various flavors of canned tomatoes - fire roasted, green chilis added (ro-tel), garlic, basil, etc

I tend not to use tomato sauce, although i will use V-8 from time to time.

Other than that, though, you have basically the same base recipe that I use.
    NOLA
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 1,721
    The use of dried peppers really adds a depth of flavor, especially guajillo. Soak them in one of your liquids and then chopped in the blender.
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,332
    CoalCreeks - MN @ss Blaster Brisket Chili is legit. I haven't bothered with any other chili recipe since finding this one. Definitely worth giving a try 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177085/minnesota-ass-blaster-brisket-chili-recipe
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,017
    You waste good wine in your chili?
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,238
    I do pour some in, it helps that it is only a couple cups, and since the bottle was already open.....it would be a shame to re cork amiright?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,830
    edited February 5
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • g8golferg8golfer Posts: 845
    Great post Ron. Have been meaning to do brisket chili but haven’t had the time to do a brisket. Might attempt it this weekend. 
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,017
    YukonRon said:
    I do pour some in, it helps that it is only a couple cups, and since the bottle was already open.....it would be a shame to re cork amiright?
    Never known you to re cork a bottle. In fact my money is on.....its more effort than drinking it. The wine in chili is ok....just surprised. 
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 12,238
    YukonRon said:
    Never known you to re cork a bottle. In fact my money is on.....its more effort than drinking it. The wine in chili is ok....just surprised. 
    It never saw the cork. In fact I had to open another one for dinner......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 385
    Completely agree!  I've had that post bookmarked for years, but only made it for the first time on Sunday. It was a big hit.  
    Mamaroneck