Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Speed cow

YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
The brisket I cooked today was wearing its PF Flyers, because it blazed a path to the finish line.

We took it over to a friend's home that requested brisket from the Meal Train.

It turned out very well in spite of the fast cook, but, I will tell you this, I noticed a difference in this one from the slower finishing briskets.

My best food critic, My Beautiful Wife, will be brutally honest with me on my brisket cooks.
She will flat out tell me if it is not up to par, and she found nothing wrong with this cook.

I did.

The texture was a bit off. I think it may have been the result of being in the deep freezer too long. I dunno, everyone was very pleased with it, but me.

Any insight from anyone on this? Could this be the reason for the fast cook? My other fast cook brisket was similar and had some time in the deep freeze as well? Is it OCD kicking in on this too?

Anyway here are the Leftovers:
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky
«1

Comments

  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,350
    I think it looks redonculous!!  I got nuthin past that.  

    -----------------------------------------


    2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,980
    edited February 4
    Look like a true winner right there.  Always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."  As noted on your prior post about this cook I have had ( and I'm sure all who routinely cook briskets) them finish all over the place regarding total time and time per pound cook.  As you well know, it's all about the feel-nail it and you are there.  
    BTW- my invite got lost in the ether  =)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • jeffwitjeffwit Posts: 1,348
    If that’s all the leftovers from a packer, I’d say the cook was pretty successful. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 3,251
    It's 100% OCD,DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :)

    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

    Okeechobee FL. Winter

    West Jefferson NC Summer

  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    I think it looks redonculous!!  I got nuthin past that.  
    Yeah @Mattman3969 sorry for the redundant post, I was hopng to gather some insight, and thought this post would invite the experts to provide their thoughts. This is the OCD in me, best example of what my friends put up with.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    @lousubcap

    You never need an invitation, you are welcome here anytime, 

    Thank you for the kind words.

    I do have a question though; In your opinion, is there a time limit for keeping prime brisket in the deep freeze? If so, what are your guidelines?

    Thank you in advance.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    Thank you sir, appreciate the words of encouragement. It was successful,

    I thought about adding these pieces to the chili I am making today, with some other left over brisket I have frozen from previous cooks.

    At least in chili, texture will not be an issue.

    I am still trying to understand the impact of deep freezer time, whether or not it affects cook time, and the impact it may, or may not, have on the cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    @lousubcap

    You never need an invitation, you are welcome here anytime, 

    Thank you for the kind words.

    I do have a question though; In your opinion, is there a time limit for keeping prime brisket in the deep freeze? If so, what are your guidelines?

    Thank you in advance.
    I’m also curious. I have a cryovac’d flat that’s been in the freezer 14 months and another full packer that’s been in there for 8. Don’t know what to expect. 
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,980
    edited February 4
    @YukonRon - I have no idea regarding deep freeze time lines on a brisket but I have cooked rib roasts at the 13-15 month mark, steaks (a real deep dive) at the 3+ year mark and a neglected turkey at the 3.5 year mark.  I did a Costco prime brisket that had been in the deep freeze for around 9 months or so.   I don't think there is an end-point as long as the cryovac is good and you didn't have a power outage thaw along the way.  
    Every one of the cooks turned out well expect the steak was a bit freezer burned.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Every so often SWMBO finds some protein sale and over-buys.  Into the abyss goes the purchase and as noted above, some surface well aged.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    It's 100% OCD,DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :)
    That is exactly what My Beautiful Wife has said to me, in a kind, and yet, not complaining sort of way, but still managing to get her point across. ( "Give it a rest, BGE nerd" I think were her exact words.)

    Thank you Jim for the kind words, looking forward to seeing you and your crew at the BBIII.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - I have no idea regarding deep freeze time lines on a brisket but I have cooked rib roasts at the 13-15 month mark, steaks (a real deep dive) at the 3+ year mark and a neglected turkey at the 3.5 year mark.  I did a Costco prime brisket that had been in the deep freeze for around 9 months or so.   I don't think there is an end-point as long as the cryovac is good and you didn't have a power outage thaw along the way.  
    Every one of the cooks turned out well expect the steak was a bit freezer burned.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Every so often SWMBO finds some protein sale and over-buys.  Into the abyss goes the purchase and as noted above, some surface well aged.  
    I appreciate the info. I have not been aware of any loss of power or freezer malfunction, so I think that is off the table.

    We also do the food on sale freezer thing.

    Nothing goes in prior to properly sealed cryovac packaging is in place.

    Must be OCDing again. Time to up my meds?

    Thanks Frank, for your experience and insight.

    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    YukonRon said:
    @lousubcap

    You never need an invitation, you are welcome here anytime, 

    Thank you for the kind words.

    I do have a question though; In your opinion, is there a time limit for keeping prime brisket in the deep freeze? If so, what are your guidelines?

    Thank you in advance.
    I’m also curious. I have a cryovac’d flat that’s been in the freezer 14 months and another full packer that’s been in there for 8. Don’t know what to expect. 
    @Great_EGGspectations

    Take a look at the response from @lousubcap ;

    He has a wealth of knowledge, that has helped me to become a better cook.

    Hope this helps.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,544
    Hey Ron, I cooked a packer recently that was from the old SRF BOGO sale. It was just okay. I thawed in the fridge and wet aged for a month. I think it was due to extended freezer time. I won’t be waiting so long next time. Six months is my new self imposed max time in the freezer but I’d prefer to keep it only 90–120 days.  
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    Hey Ron, I cooked a packer recently that was from the old SRF BOGO sale. It was just okay. I thawed in the fridge and wet aged for a month. I think it was due to extended freezer time. I won’t be waiting so long next time. Six months is my new self imposed max time in the freezer but I’d prefer to keep it only 90–120 days.  
    @DoubleEgger

    That is my plan of action going forward. I thought it had to be impacted some way.

    I have one more outside of these parameters, I think I will cook for chili purposes only.

    Thank you for the feedback. I apreciate your insight. You are OCD too, you get it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    Bustin' out the chili machine.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209

    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,481
    YukonRon said:
    Hey Ron, I cooked a packer recently that was from the old SRF BOGO sale. It was just okay. I thawed in the fridge and wet aged for a month. I think it was due to extended freezer time. I won’t be waiting so long next time. Six months is my new self imposed max time in the freezer but I’d prefer to keep it only 90–120 days.  
    @DoubleEgger

    That is my plan of action going forward. I thought it had to be impacted some way.

    I have one more outside of these parameters, I think I will cook for chili purposes only.

    Thank you for the feedback. I apreciate your insight. You are OCD too, you get it.
    So y'all are telling me my 2 blacks that have been frozen solid for 10 months have degraded in quality.  That would bum me out.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    Hey Ron, I cooked a packer recently that was from the old SRF BOGO sale. It was just okay. I thawed in the fridge and wet aged for a month. I think it was due to extended freezer time. I won’t be waiting so long next time. Six months is my new self imposed max time in the freezer but I’d prefer to keep it only 90–120 days.  
    @DoubleEgger

    That is my plan of action going forward. I thought it had to be impacted some way.

    I have one more outside of these parameters, I think I will cook for chili purposes only.

    Thank you for the feedback. I apreciate your insight. You are OCD too, you get it.
    So y'all are telling me my 2 blacks that have been frozen solid for 10 months have degraded in quality.  That would bum me out.
    @bgebrent

    Maybe. Not 100%. I just know my primes, while still able fab, seemed to have lost something, and the similarities were fast cook on a low and slow, Costco primes (in my case), freezer 10 months plus....
    I hope yours will be fine. Too much similarity in my case not to think......hmm mm, maybe?
    That was why I posted to see if anyone had similar experiences.
    You can send them to me, I will cook them side by side with my blacks just to make sure.
    We on a mission here.
    I have one more past the date and I am going to cook it to go with some Cajun red beans and rice.....
    Like I said, send those blacks up, I will tell you the results.... 
    Just trying my best to protect you and all others from bitter disappointment.
    Love you brother.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    See this, buy this:

    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    It has been a great 2018:
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,980
    @bgebrent - take a look at my comments above regarding extended duration freezer time.  All of those were kept in a deep freezer and with the exception of the steak everything turned out just fine.  I have one of the November 2016 SRF Black BOGO's still in hibernation.  Every time I think about firing it up, I end up ordering another SRF.  Not a bad deal but someday I should just get it done-BTW SRF Black scheduled for delivery this Weds.  Can't seem to break the cycle-not complaining  =)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent - take a look at my comments above regarding extended duration freezer time.  All of those were kept in a deep freezer and with the exception of the steak everything turned out just fine.  I have one of the November 2016 SRF Black BOGO's still in hibernation.  Every time I think about firing it up, I end up ordering another SRF.  Not a bad deal but someday I should just get it done-BTW SRF Black scheduled for delivery this Weds.  Can't seem to break the cycle-not complaining  =)
    @lousubcap

    Frank, I am working an angle here..... 

    I am just kidding of course.

    Having fun with my buds. Maybe a difference from Costco prime to SRF Noir?


    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    edited February 4
    Drinking a Columbia Valley red blend from Washington, 14 Hands.....
    Does not suck.
    Do not confuse a "Does not Suck" with a "Find this, buy this" or a " See this, buy this".
    It is a very good wine, and worth of sharing with friends. Nobody would be offended.
    You're welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    Taking Eagles and points.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    Think the points will make it?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    How about that!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 28,206
    Glorious win by the Eagle.  That said:

    Cooked fast?  (disclaimer, this may not be what happened, it is simply a possibility)

    In general, if you completely seal meat by sucking out all the air and that meat is kept well below freezing, it should maintain the same quality as you had when first frozen for years.

    What can happen is you have a leak in the plastic foodsaver or whatever bag.  This can happen banging stuff around in your freezer.  In this scenario, water sublimates out of your meat (sounds nasty) and it dries out.  Think about wooly mammoths and ice men found in glaciers.  They are dehydrated.

    When meat has lower water content, like dry aged, it cooks faster.

    If you have a sealed bag and the temp fluctuates towards melting and then freezing, same thing can happen in a closed environment.  Condensation and gradients will pull the moisture out, and even if the bag is sealed, the meat dries and cooks fast, loss of quality, etc.

    When you have a well sealed bag with no air and kept well below zero, the food has a virtually unlimited shelf life with quality that should be equal or near to the day after it was frozen.

    I could get into cellular damage and all that but suffice it to say, cycling through freeze/thaw is not good for quality.


    ______________________________________________
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.  Love me or hate me, I am forum Marmite.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, Akorn Jr, smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.  Registered republican.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 13,209
    edited February 5
    Glorious win by the Eagle.  That said:

    Cooked fast?  (disclaimer, this may not be what happened, it is simply a possibility)

    In general, if you completely seal meat by sucking out all the air and that meat is kept well below freezing, it should maintain the same quality as you had when first frozen for years.

    What can happen is you have a leak in the plastic foodsaver or whatever bag.  This can happen banging stuff around in your freezer.  In this scenario, water sublimates out of your meat (sounds nasty) and it dries out.  Think about wooly mammoths and ice men found in glaciers.  They are dehydrated.

    When meat has lower water content, like dry aged, it cooks faster.

    If you have a sealed bag and the temp fluctuates towards melting and then freezing, same thing can happen in a closed environment.  Condensation and gradients will pull the moisture out, and even if the bag is sealed, the meat dries and cooks fast, loss of quality, etc.

    When you have a well sealed bag with no air and kept well below zero, the food has a virtually unlimited shelf life with quality that should be equal or near to the day after it was frozen.

    I could get into cellular damage and all that but suffice it to say, cycling through freeze/thaw is not good for quality.


    My thoughts, initially align with yours. If there had been an  opening, I would have found it upon initial inspection, and certainly during the opening which, when thawed, presented a brisket no different from the dozens of others I had prepped and cooked via Costco.

    Thinking maybe the freeze/thaw process could have been in play, however, if it happened, I am very sure it did not happen here. I do not know the history at Costco.

    I dunno. I cycle through frozen proteins regularly, (with two children and their friends) except for a few briskets, which have hung around a while, meaning poor inventory management on my part.

    Then again it could have been something I have done, just do not know what it was.
    Next one, I am going to use in some red beans and rice.

    Then it is back to SRF Noir, or Costco and done within 90 days.

    Thank you Carey for your time and explanation, I appreciate the feedback.

    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

    XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 6,804
    Dilly, dilly
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.