Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge assembly

Options
Dome is really hard to open. Opens about 8 inches only. Which bolts on back will help. Nothing seems to be helping. Getting progressively worse. Supposed to cook 5 pizzas for kids in 2 hours  :s
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The bolts on the pivot points of the hinge assembly 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks. Thinking one of my springs is messed up. The bolt holding it is crooked. A lot of use in 7 Years with little to know upkeep ha
  • DoubleEgger
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Thanks. Thinking one of my springs is messed up. The bolt holding it is crooked. A lot of use in 7 Years with little to know upkeep ha
    Don’t tighten that bolt all the way or the hinge won’t allow the top to move. Tighten your band bolts while you’re at it. Don’t be like @JRWhitee and @tarheelmatt
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    We can send Craig @Dyal_SC to fix it for you. He ain't doing anything these days.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    What size egg? 
  • Chubbs
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Large @Hungry Joe
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Would you be willing to video how you do this?  I’ve searched high and low and can’t find anything that fits the bill.  I’m having the exact same issue as you.  I tinker with loosening and tightening bolts, and seem to get a different result each time.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This can also happen if the bands slip during a hot cook (like pizza) and settle in the wrong spot and cool down. Might just need and adjustment and a tighten up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Looking forward to some pie pics 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    This can also happen if the bands slip during a hot cook (like pizza) and settle in the wrong spot and cool down. Might just need and adjustment and a tighten up.
    Might be it. Although my egg has had an underbite quite a while which assumed meant bands were out of position and I have just not messed with it yet. I will post a pic of the crooked bolt by the spring today
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It’s the crookedly bolt for sure. It should have two nuts in it. As stated earlier you need to leave enough play in the inner one for the hinge to work. The outer one can be tightened 100%. I think I got the in and out right. You will be able to figure it out once you are looking at it. It’s amazing how a little slop in that spot messes up the hinge action so much. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I agree with @pgprescott. I have one egg that has this issue every couple of months. I think I need to get a new nut as the nylon insert doesn't hold it in place anymore. It seems to happen mid-cook when it decides to act up and I have to run to the shop for the wrenches.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    My band wrapped like crazy the last time I did a pizza cook.  It acted a lot like you are describing.  I fought it for a while, but was constantly adjusting it.  I ended-up replacing it with the new style band
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I don’t know jack **** about your springs and bolts. What I do know you better be at B.B.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It’s the crookedly bolt for sure. It should have two nuts in it. As stated earlier you need to leave enough play in the inner one for the hinge to work. The outer one can be tightened 100%. I think I got the in and out right. You will be able to figure it out once you are looking at it. It’s amazing how a little slop in that spot messes up the hinge action so much. 

Two nuts and the in and out right? Sound OK. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN