Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to clean a Smokeware Cap!

drumdudeguy
drumdudeguy Posts: 165
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I have never cleaned my smokeware cap. It seals quite well :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    ColtsFan said:
    I agree. Sometimes when it’s below 20 it seals a little to well and I just hit it with the torch and it’s all good. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hmmm, you guys who haven't cleaned yours either haven't had them too long or don't use much wood to smoke with! UNLESS newer ones have much closer tolerances than the older ones! I've had mine get so stuck and ugly with creosote that I have to clean mine on a regular basis! As for that video I can't believe that dude sprayed those inside the house at the kitchen sink! EO oven cleaner will clear your sinuses in a jiffy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    CoMoBGE said:
    ColtsFan said:
    I agree. Sometimes when it’s below 20 it seals a little to well and I just hit it with the torch and it’s all good. 
    Huh? I grew up over in Centralia 25 miles from Columbia and I never had a winter coat growing up! So now it gets down to 20 or below?  =)=);););)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    That looks brand new.  Barkeepers friend is also good, but you need to give it a little more elbow grease than that video.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Just to add another option...

Electrolysis.  no scrubbing, no chemicals - looks brand new when done.  Also perfect for cast iron.  Or if you are so inclined the cooking grates - but who cleans those anyway?

Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I never have.  Afraid if I do, it will be too sloppy of a fit.  It's just like my cast iron except I don't oil it or clean it. So u guess it's not like my cast iron.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    RRP said:
    CoMoBGE said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Huh? I grew up over in Centralia 25 miles from Columbia and I never had a winter coat growing up! So now it gets down to 20 or below?  =)=);););)
    One of the great things about Mid Missouri. We can get 16+” of snow in the winter and it will be 100+ with 90% humidity in the summer. You should think about coming back to Centralia some time for Anchor Fest or the Cook-Off.  They are fantastic. More mullets than you can shake a stick at!