Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Asian Trout and Ramen - Today’s Catch!!

I had the entertain the kiddo after school today so we decided to go catch some trout. We limited out (7) in an hour...and then learned a valuable lesson about playing with the fish stringer. So we had to catch some more. 

Then we had had a little talk with the “fish police” when we got back to the car. 

Back to the house. Cleaned and prepped with some sesame oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper on a cedar plank to go with the soup. Indirect at 375 until in the 120s then pulled and foiled. 

Served with ramen. First time she got to be a part of the whole process from field to table. Proud of my little fisherman today. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 18,081
    Sofa king awesome!
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. My wings either. 
  • bucky925bucky925 Posts: 1,715
    Oh my goodness, How sweet is that!  Me and Mrs. Bucky are so looking foward to gradparentness.  In fact Cindy has already adopted a kinda grandkid.  Of course as my daughter says she is a "kid magnet" I have better luck with the 10 to 13 year olds.  It works for us. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• blind99blind99 Posts: 4,623
    holy cow.  your daughter kicks ass.

you two win the internet today!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Creating some cool memories and living up to your username.
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 4,746
    That’s a great day. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. 
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
    ”One can never go wrong with fried dough and grilled meat”
                                                                                  Smokingal
  • Awesome.  What a great time!  You sir are a great dad.  A good reminder for the rest of us to step up our dad game.  P.S. I'll take that ramen recipe.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,726
    Awesome my friend.  Great day indeed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • That is awesome. I see a lot of stuff on here that makes me jealous but that tops it! Damn sure need to get out of the concrete jungle to take the kids fishing more often. And the food looks killer too! 
    In Atlanta, either putting fires out at work or gettin' them started at home...
    1LBGE
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 13,581
    Outfrikkinstanding! We’ve been eating a fair bit of ramen recently but have not tried it at home yet. 

The egg is one of the highlights in a bowl. How did you do make them?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,422
    Very nice - congrats on a great day!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • YukonRonYukonRon Posts: 15,416
    Great day indeed. Thank you for sharing your time as a father with us. It goes so quickly, our children, growing up, don't waste a second.
    You are a great father and husband.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @jdkeithbge I kind of just winged the ramen but here was the general idea. Sauté some onion, garlic, jalapeño slices, and shiitake mushrooms. Then reduce heat, add chicken and beef broth, soy sauce, and some heat (I used Thai red curry paste and chili pepper paste). Simmer for a while and add some cooked meat. Tonight I did rotisserie chicken but usually leftover cubed pork. Toss ramen in for a few minutes and plate. I topped with some Asian micro greens, sesame seeds, and a soft boiled egg. 

@caliking those eggs are pretty easy. Get a pot boiling. Carefully put an egg straight from the fridge in the water. 7 1/2 minutes and toss in an ice bath for 5. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,890
    AWESOME!
    LBGE, MiniMax - 17, 22, and 36"Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 4,971
    Bravo sir! The only thing missing in those pictures is a liter cola!
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 9,917
    What a great post...Photos tell the story
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 13,880
    The post of the new year right here.

Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“May the four winds blow you safely home.”
  • The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited January 2018
    Who got the eyeballs and cheeks??

Harpeth or Caney Fork?

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Who got the eyeballs and cheeks??

Harpeth or Caney Fork?

@The_Stache the Harpeth. Caney Fork is Catch and Release until April I think. Everything they dumped in there this week they expect to breed. These won’t live much past early May. 

South of Nashville, TN

• The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Good haul for the Harpeth!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,726
    Excellent post brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 5,372
    Great post buddy, lots of fun right there. One question, those fish didn't look Asian to me.  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent said:
    Excellent post brother!
    bgebrent said:
    Awesome my friend.  Great day indeed.
    Two “good job” comments on the same thread. Either this is the @bgebrent new Double Seal Of Approval or Nicole has quite a few years ahead telling you you’re missing glasses are on top of your head.  ;);)

South of Nashville, TN

• JRWhitee said:
    Great post buddy, lots of fun right there. One question, those fish didn't look Asian to me.  =)
    @JRWhitee it is not close enough to Friday to respond to this, but so many comments. 

South of Nashville, TN

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 912
    This is a classic. What a cutie! Learning at an early age who the "good guys" are.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,644
    Adorable fisherperson, and great looking food!