Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roccbox za today for playoffs picts attached

Options
So I finally snapped a few photos of roccbox pizza party.. 15 pies. Amazing crust, roccbox was fired by propane and was super easy to use ...25 mins to get to temp....

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Nice! Even though Jags lost, looks you had a nice spread.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Good eats and a great time.  Doesn't get any better than that?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Nice pics, nice za. I wish I could pull that off. Things to work on in 2018.

Sudbury, Ontario
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac, i was pulling for jax, bummed when they lost..@Hawg fan, it doesnt get any better..cold beverages and the food was incredible
    @Sammi, i started attempting pizza on bge in 2012, got frustrated and almost quit.  Todays results were the result of 5 yrs of frustration, experimenting and finally learning to let go...NOT give up but let go and trust what was happening

The key to pizza is not what tops it but what the toppings sit on..the dough, the crust
    I dismissed jeff varasanos wisdom of emphasizing how important handling dough really is...and  i learned that making dough by feel was something i thought id never learn.  I still dont know it cold but am hetting closer each time

The crazy thing is that todays pizzas were made with safeway bread flour that was on sale for $1.99 for a 5 lb bag.  Nothing fancy, easy to work with, 70% hydration level even though the dough balls were not sticky and 15 pies is solid yield from starting with 2000g flour, 1400 water, 64g salt, 180g starter poolish and 4g idy.   

Just keep at it, make notes every time you make it, learn to go by feel and dont ever give up. Enjoy the journey
    Good luck!
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Pies look perfect. Thanks for sharing
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• westernbbq
    Options
    You bet @NewbeeMinimax

For SBS, i am making za again except itll be the XL and MM fired up.  Prob no roccbox.

The dough is the key....
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    question for those that own the roccbox, recently I've been doing the kenji deep dish inside a cast iron pan, is there any benefit to doing a thicker type crust pizza in the roccbox? You guys almost have me convinced to buy one. Thanks
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Moleman said:
    question for those that own the roccbox, recently I've been doing the kenji deep dish inside a cast iron pan, is there any benefit to doing a thicker type crust pizza in the roccbox? You guys almost have me convinced to buy one. Thanks
    No, not the thicker crust. Unless you cook them at really high temp now and it works for you. You would also have to rotate the pan during your cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Its an interesting question..ive never made DD za in roccbox but i gotta think if the stone was preheated and the upper heat was restrained a little youd be OK. Do you preheat the CI pan? I had the uuni 2s and the 3, wanted to make gas fired za and at time uuni gas burner unavailable despite the uuni people green egging us with hoped for delivery dates...so the only reason i got roccbox and gave away the uunis was lack of availability of gas burner when i really needed it.  
      The only advantage for DD pie in roccbox is the ability to have a reliable steady regulated heat source.   This may be biggest advantage.   But rotation is key, otherwise back edge will get burned...
    Next attempt will involve a broiled steak or salmon filet portion in CI pan on the roccbox.  Should be tasty!

I can say this, the roccbox is a sturdy unit, very well constructed that offers the flexibility of gas and wood firing. Plus the company has its sh!t together with regards to communication and they actually deliver their product to retailers and consumers.   

I read somewhere on this forum that gas burner is now avail for uuni but its not on their product offerings on their website,   maybe uuni company communication or lack thereof strikes again...you have to go to youtube, facebook or mystify social media and only after deciphering a series of cryptic clues and failed logins maybe, if youre lucky, youll find the uuni gas burner.  The company must be run by robots

But, i dont see any reason why a dd za on roccbox ca nt be done....just go low on hea t
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Those look great!  I had fun playing with Cen-Tex’s RB last weekend.  It’s going to get harder and harder for me not to pull the trigger on one of these...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina,  i wish everyone on the planet had at least one big green egg and a roccbox.   If you get one, youll never look back!  Thanks for the good words on the picts of pies i made
    Hopefully they improve with each attempt i make em...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Moleman said:
    I don't own a Roccbox (yet), but I don't see the benefit of using one for pan or deepdish pizza. The temps needed for those are in the 450-550° range and a standard oven or egg would be fine. Plus, you can bake multiple pies at once in your oven. =) 

I assume you can regulate a Roccbox to those lower temps, but I would think it's forte would be the higher temp neapolitan or even NY pies. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    Options
    Moleman said:
    I don't own a Roccbox (yet), but I don't see the benefit of using one for pan or deepdish pizza. The temps needed for those are in the 450-550° range and a standard oven or egg would be fine. Plus, you can bake multiple pies at once in your oven. =) 

I assume you can regulate a Roccbox to those lower temps, but I would think it's forte would be the higher temp neapolitan or even NY pies. 
    while i've never tested the RB's lower end temperature with liquid propane fuel, the tamping down of the flame is easy with the dial.  i've only made pizza on it twice, both with LPG as fuel source, and both at higher temps in the 700-800F range and both times epic results were achieved. I am unsure if i'll ever use the wood burning apparatus with it.  However, my two mesquite trees produce an endless supply of perfectly -sized branches that will burn a long time at high temps without getting too smoky. Mesquite is a dense wood that lasts a long time for higher temperature burns. Soooo, i might need to try it out.  I'll have more mesquite sticks to burn than i can handle.  Free fuel for life! of course, regulating temps this way means knowing exactly how much fuel needs to be in the the rocket stove.  being the lazy arse that i am, turning the dial down with a propane tank attached works well.  i do think that the 450-500 temps could be achieved with the roccbox.  the main thing is that once you have the temperature dialed in and set, with propane, you'll have a constant temp you don' t have to worry about for a length of time limited only by your fuel supply.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for Roccbox, but their product is well-built, sturdy, flexible in terms of fuel source and very  capable.  It is by far the easiest to use pizza oven i've used (I've used BGE, BlackStone, weber extender, a standard grilltop unit, the uuni and a back yard built in pizza oven)The limited pie sizes hasn't been an issue for me or the crowds i've been feeding and there's a guy in London who started an outfit called PizzaBike.  He started with uuni ovens and i think he's now exclusively a Roccbox pie maker.

The ease of use for RB is something i really favor over the uuni.  I originally bought two uunis because i wanted to have the capacity.  I figured that two uunis for the price of one roccbox was justification.  Then, later on when uuni announced a gas fired burner for their ovens, i thought that would be great.  Well, uuni company communication is atrocious ( i am being kind here) and i couldn't wait any longer as i needed a gas burner fueled pizza oven for a mobile pizza party application.  Enter Roccbox, purchased with Williams-Sonoma gift card and i gave away the two uunis i had.

Anyone out there thinking about a roccbox for pizza making should do it and be happy.  Did i really need this?  No.  Am i happy i got it?  Absolutely.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Moleman said:

I agree, the question was about benefit, not if it could be done.
    Unless you need to go portable, there is no benefit only negatives of keeping fire temp consistent and having to rotate pan to cook the pizza evenly in the Roccbox. I still want one as well but some things do cook better/easier in the oven/stove top. Just does not have the Wow Factor and chicks don't dig guys making pizza in the oven...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Photo Egg said: ...and chicks don't dig guys making pizza in the oven...lol
    So THAT'S what it is!! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    Options
    Photo Egg said: ...and chicks don't dig guys making pizza in the oven...lol
    So THAT'S what it is!! =)
    I neglected to mention that at both parties i made pizza at with the RB, the chickens were definitely curious.  a side benefit of making za in a portable oven is having the babes come around and express amazement and excitement at something be made for party food besides hamburgers....
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Well thanks for the advice. May need to learn to like thinner crust pizza as I want one. Thanks