Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Icemageddon Houston 2018 - Ham and bean something is afoot...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
Office is closed today because we don't know what to do when the the temp drops below 40°F. That leaves me at home looking for something to do. 

Pulled out a ham bone from the freezer. I think its from this past Thanksgiving. Found some anasazi beans in the pantry. Probably a few years old. All I know is that they are some kind of bean. Found an onion, some baby carrots that are a few months old, some kind of expired rib rub, shawerma rub, cumin. Added a little garlic,  and went to town. 

Only to find that the LBGE was frozen shut. In Houston. 

Starter cubes had the lid open in 5 mins or so. Loaded up with lump and a few chunks of apple wood. Because that's all I could find in my pit of a garage. 

Ham bone roasted for an hr or so (the little bit on the side was the chef's treat).

Made a roux with lard from one of our pigs (2 actually). Some Better Than Bouillon Vegetable flavor (also found in the pantry, unopened, AND not expired!). Dropped the beans and ham bone in. 

We'll see what happens. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I've never made beans with a roux.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Duuuuuuuuude.  That looks awesome
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I've never made beans with a roux.
    Me neither. Found a Saveur recipe for some kind of Hungarian ham and bean stew, and riffed off of that. Figured since I was using this rub, that it qualified :)

I’m not particularly following the recipe, so I think I’ll end with something different. So far the roux seems lost in the water added to the pot, but maybe it’ll thicken up in a few hours. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am a big fan of soup in the winter. You look for some cornbread to compliment? You gonna have fun with the soup.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    Options
    Found some ‘shrooms, so in they went. 

• caliking
    Options
    My day so far...

ol’ skool B B King on the Sonos, inside and out. Egg purring away. The sun may be trying to warm things up. 

I’ve had worse days :)

• caliking
    Options
    20stone said:
    Duuuuuuuuude.  That looks awesome
    it seems to be coming along rather nicely. Hope it turns out as good as it looks and smells so far. 

• caliking
    Options
    I am a big fan of soup in the winter. You look for some cornbread to compliment? You gonna have fun with the soup.
    You, sir, are a trouble maker.

I have some rye sourdough that I baked this weekend, but I'm off to the pantry again to see what I have. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    The fact that you wrote “expired rub” and “probably a few years old” made me feel so much better about myself and my cooking. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m betting this will be grand!!   Do you have any curry to add to it?   That seems to be the only thing your missing besides the kitchen sink.  Lol. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    The fact that you wrote “expired rub” and “probably a few years old” made me feel so much better about myself and my cooking. 
    I'm a hoarder, so expiry dates are like speed limits... merely suggestions. If it passes the smell/taste test, then its good. Things get testy when caliqueen gets it in her head to clean out the pantry every once in a while. 

• caliking
    Options
    I’m betting this will be grand!!   Do you have any curry to add to it?   That seems to be the only thing your missing besides the kitchen sink.  Lol. 
    The cumin was my nod to that. I considered adding some homemade "curry powder" to the mix, but figured I had to draw the line somewhere :) 

• caliking
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @northGAcock don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t occasionally have good ideas.

Had to do it in the oven, since I have to pick up caliprince in a bit. It may have turned out slightly overdone. But credit is due for using lard from one our pigs. And a Wagner skillet. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    That’s how I like cornbread. Beans & cornbread... killer combo. Based on the ingredient list, just top that bowl of beans and cornbread with a vinegary hot sauce or a dollop of sour cream and you’ll be in heaven. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I’m giving armchair advice because I have nothing better to do at the moment.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’m giving armchair advice because I have nothing better to do at the moment.
    This whole forum is armchair advice driven by procrastination.  You’re good.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    caliking said:
    You, sir, are a trouble maker.

I have some rye sourdough that I baked this weekend, but I'm off to the pantry again to see what I have. 
    lol .....enjoy!

• northGAcock
    Options
    caliking said:
    @northGAcock don’t let anyone tell you that you don’t occasionally have good ideas.

Had to do it in the oven, since I have to pick up caliprince in a bit. It may have turned out slightly overdone. But credit is due for using lard from one our pigs. And a Wagner skillet. 
    Trust me....I am seldom accused of having a good idea. You put the enjoying on that soup brother.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I made soup today too, inside on the stove. Yours looks great @Caliking

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I have not had a road trip in a long time but if I don't get that cornbread recipe I will be on your doorstep come Sunday. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I like how you roll on "snow day".
    I need to explore options, and find that luxury.  ;)
    Nice post.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    Options
    No drumroll for me, since I didn't get a plated shot. Things got busy once the kid was home.

The stew,  or whatever it ended up being, was pretty damn good. Big shout out to @northGAcock for the cornbread nudge. It turned out quite well. Great crunchy crust on the bottom. I haven't made cornbread in a long time, and had forgotten how good it could be. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    No plated shot - now that’s just wrong. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice cook and I still say you can give other food bloggers a run for their money!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That’s how I like cornbread. Beans & cornbread... killer combo. Based on the ingredient list, just top that bowl of beans and cornbread with a vinegary hot sauce or a dollop of sour cream and you’ll be in heaven. 
    That would have been my MO, but I didn't feel like going to the store to pick up sour cream. I dressed my bowl up with a roasted habanero hot sauce,  and it hit the spot.

• caliking
    Options
    setdahook said:
    I have not had a road trip in a long time but if I don't get that cornbread recipe I will be on your doorstep come Sunday. 
    I usually like Saveur recipes, so I picked the first one that Google found. Simple and quick.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mary-Hickss-Corn-Bread

The crust was beautiful (I'm sure the lard helped), but I probably should have pulled it 5mins earlier.

• northGAcock
    Options
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    That would have been my MO, but I didn't feel like going to the store to pick up sour cream. I dressed my bowl up with a roasted habanero hot sauce,  and it hit the spot.
    .....and for saying I ain’t goin to the damn sto....

....that’s called makin do.

• caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    No plated shot - now that’s just wrong. 
    I agree wholeheartedly :) I'm disappointed in myself, partly because soup/stew is  easy to take pictures of too.

The day funneled in to this 10 minute window where the cornbread had to come out of the oven, last beer needed to be finished, stew had to be pulled off the egg, an errand had to be run, and the kid needed to be picked up. 

Didn't have it in me after that. And I didn't have any sour cream.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Friend, I’m just yankin’ yer chain. The last couple of good cooks I’ve done had no finish shots either. There are more important things sometimes than posting pics on a forum. Sounds like you had a great day and I’m sure the beans were spectacular. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon