Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Vanilla forum

billt01
billt01 Posts: 1,523
If I wanted to start my own forum, I do like the format of this one.  Does anyone know if this one is free, or is the BGE mother ship kicking back some cash to keep this one rolling?
Have:
 XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
Had:
LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
Ola, Ga

Comments

• billt01 said:
    If I wanted to start my own forum, I do like the format of this one.  Does anyone know if this one is free, or is the BGE mother ship kicking back some cash to keep this one rolling?
    I actually had to look into a couple of forum vendors recently for my position as VP of the USACM.  Vanilla was one of the vendors we looked at.  Suffice to say their services weren’t free, and I also wasn’t impressed with them at all.  Take it for what it’s worth, which is not much.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • billt01
    billt01 said:
    I actually had to look into a couple of forum vendors recently for my position as VP of the USACM.  Vanilla was one of the vendors we looked at.  Suffice to say their services weren’t free, and I also wasn’t impressed with them at all.  Take it for what it’s worth, which is not much.
    @JohnInCarolina

Did you decide on one. I really don't mind spending a FEW bucks a month..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    @JohnInCarolina

Did you decide on one. I really don't mind spending a FEW bucks a month..
    We did.  We went with forums.net.  They provide a lot of functionality and customization for a very reasonable price.  I have been really happy with them so far.
  • billt01
    @JohnInCarolina

Thank you sir, I will take a look...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I used to run this on an Intranet over 12 years ago.   I liked it.

https://www.webwiz.net/web-wiz-forums/

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Usenet Newsgroups or Geocities, those were the best.  Everything has been downhill since then
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited January 2018
    Just googled USACM and up popped two options:  United States Association of Computational Mechanics or United States Association of Cider Makers.  I will leave it at that  ;)
    BTW @JohnInCarolina  is the appropriate organization set-up such that after a given time-frame the VP moves into the President's slot?? Dang, you and POTUS wearing the same title if so...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Just googled USACM and up popped two options:  United States Association of Computational Mechanics or United States Association of Cider Makers.  I will leave it at that  ;)
    BTW @JohnInCarolina  is the appropriate organization set-up such that after a given time-frame the VP moves into the President's slot?? Dang, you and POTUS wearing the same title if so...
    Lol, yep.  I’ll take over as President of the oganization sometime this summer.  Hard cider is my area of expertise, but I’m going to see if we can’t figure out a way to bottle bourbon slushies instead ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited January 2018
    Dp
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Usenet Newsgroups or Geocities, those were the best.  Everything has been downhill since then

I can't even remember.....were newsgroups the ones you would get via email once a day??  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Naaah... Compuserve (at the reasonable fee of $12.50/hour) using the Compuserve Navigator software on my Mac SE was by far the best. GEnie was a close second.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac

I can't even remember.....were newsgroups the ones you would get via email once a day??  
    Usenet newsgroups were message boards.  You logged in to see what was posted.  No moderators, no rules, just posts about everything and anything.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    HeavyG said:
    Naaah... Compuserve (at the reasonable fee of $12.50/hour) using the Compuserve Navigator software on my Mac SE was by far the best. GEnie was a close second.

Unless you got the free CDs for 30 minute access.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324

Usenet newsgroups were message boards.  You logged in to see what was posted.  No moderators, no rules, just posts about everything and anything.
    Usenet is still alive tho I have no idea how much traffic it is still pumping daily.

Not all newsgroups were a free for all - many of the newsgroups did have moderators.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2018
    HeavyG said:

Usenet is still alive tho I have no idea how much traffic it is still pumping daily.

Not all newsgroups were a free for all - many of the newsgroups did have moderators.
    A lot of Newsgroups have been getting shutdown due to massive copyright infrigment.

I didn't realize they had moderators, I was aware about invite/access being controlled.