Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

pics loading slow

In threads where there are a lot of photos...such as the one about "What are you drinking," or any threads about pizza, it seems to take a long time for the thread to load. And the photos don't seem to cache , so that once you close the thread, even if you open it up a minute later the whole slow loading process has to begin all over.

Is this just a "reality" we have to live with or is it my computer or my configuration?  I post to a number of fairly large, graphic intensive forums across the internet and none of the others seem to be this slow.
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• TheophanTheophan Posts: 2,133
    Two things:  Main one is that most folks don't seem to know how, or maybe just don't care enough to learn how, to shrink the size of their photos before uploading.  The size of the picture in your phone is VASTLY larger than it needs to be to display on a web page in this forum, and those huge, huge files take a long time to load.  Some other forums have software that will automatically resize pictures when they're uploaded, but I gather that this forum has not been able to implement such software.

Second, in my experience there's a huge difference between the evening and the morning, which means that I think another problem is that when a lot of people are logged on and therefore downloading images, the whole site slows down.  The same pictures that were so slow to load in the evening that I just gave up and left the forum load right away the next morning.  So it may be a money issue: is it worth it to whoever's paying for this forum to pay more to increase the bandwidth?
  • DWFIIDWFII Posts: 191
    I administer an internet forum although it is small compared to this one. But most modern forum software that I looked at when setting it up,  have a built-in capacity to limit the size of a photo being displayed.

In my software, for instance, regardless the upload size, the display size can be limited to 1024x768 (or whatever you choose). This speeds up the loading considerably and lets the software take care of it automatically.

Most of my members don't have a clue of course and can't realistically be expected to downsize their photos themselves.

FWIW...
    Instagram
  • SamIAm2SamIAm2 Posts: 759
    Want to see SLOW?? Click the Best OF... link at the top right of this forum page. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DWFIIDWFII Posts: 191
    I know that this will most likely fall on deaf ears or short attention spans, but....

Look in on the  "What are you drinking now" thread and notice which photos on the whole last page come up right away.

Do the ones that take minutes to upload really and truly present more information or a clearer, more recognizable picture than the ones that snap open right now (not talking about thumbs)?

I guess it doesn't matter but for me at least, I'm gonna scroll through that page and look at the photos that are available right now  (or by the time I get to the bottom of the page) and skip the rest.

Bottom line you have to know that for many people here if someone posts a photo that is too big to load quickly, it's a waste of their time--it's not gonna get looked at very much. So...why bother? It's just annoying.

Just sayin'
    Instagram