Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Split Pea Soup Recipe? OT

Options
jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
I’ve got a nice ham bone left over from Christmas dinner and want to make split pea soup. I’ve never made it, and my family claims they don’t like it, but I know my kids have never had it. 
Anybody have a can’t miss recipe? I think I remember one posted here a while back. Maybe @YukonRon or @bgebrent?
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never made it myself, but egret and mainegg always have good recipes. One from each here...

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=viewcategory&catid=261

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "and my family claims they don’t like it, but I know my kids have never had it."  Reminds me of the 1st time my Mom made lentil stew ('cause my dad claimed to hate beans.) Seemed like it might be a disaster. A huge pot of mushy brown lentils, you can suppose what it looked like. Nevertheless, was really good, we finished the pot, and it became a standard.

I've made split pea soup on and off for years, tho' its nothing special. Early on I shifted from green to yellow split peas. The flavor is milder, and it looks nicer.  I also make lots of lentil soup, which is very much the same. For that, I've also changed from using standard brown lentils to red lentils. Again. milder flavor, more appealing look, and they seem to cook a little faster.

I just use a basic approach. Pre-soak the legumes, and boil the ham. Cut off the meat, start boiling the legumes w. some celery salt, pepper, other herbs and spices as I might like, parsley, bay, etc. Later, add carrot and onion so they cook just past being crispy. Leeks instead of standard onion if available. Not meaty enough, add bacon or kielbasa. Maybe finish w. a dash of tobasco.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like great input above. I haven’t posted a split pea soup recipe so maybe it was Ron.  Good luck. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Used to do split pea or black bean soup with the leftover hambone.  Now we almost only do 15 bean soup.  Hurst 15 bean soup beans has the recipe on the package.  I also add chopped onion and grated carrots. If you've not had it, give it a try. It's pretty good.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i save the bone for a portuguese soup and use low sodium chicken broth and water as a substitute. i dont soak the peas like most recipes either. 

simmer peas and onion til the really start to mush apart, add carrots and celery til getting tender, add ham and simmer another 20. i dont want to see peas, they will disapear if simmered enough and smooth out. black pepper when done, saltines
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I make mine in the Instant Pot pressure cooker so no help for doing it on the BGE.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    bud812 said:
    I make mine in the Instant Pot pressure cooker so no help for doing it on the BGE.
    @bud812 I don’t necessarily want to make it on the egg. And I’ve got an Intant Pot, so please share your recipe. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I wish I had more of a story to share other than this is my last pot of pease.  Easiest recipe ever to make.   Boiled to ham bone and scraps to make broth, follow the portions on the split pea bag, add carrots and onions and boil the hell out of it until thick.  Add some additional ham to complete.

I make it several times a year for frozen lunches.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys