Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SGH Best Appetizer Ever - Question

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to make this appetizer for a work potluck tomorrow. I'm going to have to warm them up and keep them in a crock pot. Transferring them to a crock pot after the smoker might get kind of ugly this evening. So I'm wondering if I could make these into bite sized balls to be more manageable when transferring? Will they stay together if picked up with tongs in a crock pot? Thanks for the help!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190411/the-best-appetizer-that-you-will-ever-eat/p1
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    anus?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• WeberWho
    anus?
    Yes.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I wonder how many suckers were tricked into making them?

Since I faced the exact same issue 24 hours ago, I can tell you what I did.
    I smoked mine in a loaf in a large Pyrex glass dish, per the original recipe.  Once cooked, I let it cool a bit, then used a turkey baster to to drain the majority of the grease (and some melted cheese).  Covered it with foil, put it back in the garage to stay cool overnight (don't know where you live WeberWho, hopefully your frig is bigger than mine if you're down south).  

This morning, the loaf was cold and stiff, and I was able to pull it out of the Pyrex with a spatula, onto the cutting board.  Because I ended up putting in less Ritz crumbs than the recipe called for (they changed the "sleeve" size) I cut the loaf into patties that would just fit on a Ritz, and served them that way!  Because they were cold, they stayed together fine as I scooped them up and dumped into the crockpot.  

They were also fine once heated up, stayed together fine, although by lunchtime I couldn't taste much cheese in them anymore.  If I make this again I may leave the cheese out, form the mixture into meatballs, and push a single cube of cheddar into the middle, and cook them on the grate (I realize they'll lose a lot of grease that way).  

Hope this helps!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    paqman said:
    I wonder how many suckers were tricked into making them?
    wat?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• WeberWho
    Botch said:
    Since I faced the exact same issue 24 hours ago, I can tell you what I did.
    I smoked mine in a loaf in a large Pyrex glass dish, per the original recipe.  Once cooked, I let it cool a bit, then used a turkey baster to to drain the majority of the grease (and some melted cheese).  Covered it with foil, put it back in the garage to stay cool overnight (don't know where you live WeberWho, hopefully your frig is bigger than mine if you're down south).  

This morning, the loaf was cold and stiff, and I was able to pull it out of the Pyrex with a spatula, onto the cutting board.  Because I ended up putting in less Ritz crumbs than the recipe called for (they changed the "sleeve" size) I cut the loaf into patties that would just fit on a Ritz, and served them that way!  Because they were cold, they stayed together fine as I scooped them up and dumped into the crockpot.  

They were also fine once heated up, stayed together fine, although by lunchtime I couldn't taste much cheese in them anymore.  If I make this again I may leave the cheese out, form the mixture into meatballs, and push a single cube of cheddar into the middle, and cook them on the grate (I realize they'll lose a lot of grease that way).  

Hope this helps!  
    @Botch Much appreciated. I like the way you think with the cube of cheddar. I unfortunately bought shredded ealier this evening. I made them into meatballs. We will see how this turns out...

Minnesota
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    We made what we called "Scottie's Balls" at EggFests two years ago. But I tweaked the recipe a bit.

1 Raw Egg.
    ¾ cup Sweet Onion Fine Chopped
    ¾ cup  Poblano Pepper Fine Chopped
    ½-¾ Kikkoman Panko Breads Crumbs, Plain
    2 Lb of Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage
    1  8oz. Package of shredded Pepper Jack Cheese. (Large Shred)

2 Tbsp It’s My Rub Power Blend (www.itsmyrub.com)

1 Tsp Fiesta Chili Lime (www.fiestaspices.com/authentic-mexican/chili-lime-seasoning)

Coarse Salt and Black Pepper

1. Combine all but the egg and Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage in S/S bowl and mix very well

2. Next add in the Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage and the egg and mix very well

3. Let set, covered with plastic, in the S/S bowl, for at least ½ day in fridge

4. Form into ½ to ¾ oz balls and place each in lightly pre-sprayed (PAM) mini muffin pan well

5. Cook indirect, on the Big Green Egg, at 350-375 degrees until reaching an internal temp of 175 - 185 degrees, check I/T at about 8-10 min in

Or

Pre heat oven to 350-375 with a sheet pan on bottom rack to catch any drips and cook until reaching an internal temp of 175 - 185 degrees, check I/T at about 8-10 min in

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    Thanks guys! A little distracted last night and put a good char on them before I realized it. I added some homemade bbq sauce to them. I think they should be alright 

Minnesota
  • Those look perfect man. Just enough char. I’m guessing there will be no leftovers. 
    Snellville, GA

• WeberWho
    Those look perfect man. Just enough char. I’m guessing there will be no leftovers. 
    Thanks! I'm hoping so. I can only eat so much sausage. One the very few foods my stomach doesn't agree with. I've had a couple coworkers praise them who snuck in early for lunch. Fingers crossed...

Minnesota