Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Table Ideas Using 80/20 Aluminum Framing

Hi all, I've been think I need a table for my egg. I initially thought I'd make it from wood then I saw some pics of near catastrophes and out right catastrophes and now I'm a little paranoid. 

So so I started researching SS and aluminum framing and remembered seeing some stuff built from 80/20. Google has not been my friend, I've only found three examples. Does the collective have any additional info to share? TIA, Keith

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Are you talking about steel studs? I looked into this some time back. I think I remember reading that exterior grade studs (G90?) are recommended. Usually available from a building supply house. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    80/20 is good stuff.  Expensive, try buying it used.  I would use it to frame and deck with granite, concrete, or aluminum plate.  (Research if there are any galvanic issues if you go with concrete)
    caliking said:
    Are you talking about steel studs? I looked into this some time back. I think I remember reading that exterior grade studs (G90?) are recommended. Usually available from a building supply house. 
    80/20 is aluminum extrusions in a variety of standard shapes/sizes.

It's designed to be able to bolt together very quickly using slotted fasteners.

Cool stuff, however, as @nolaegghead said it can be kinda $$$. Some decent deals on ebay for some of the more commonly used profiles.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't understand the fascination with egg tables. You have to build it to support the weight of the egg and once it's built, you cut a hole in it! Why not just build or buy a nice patio table (or a cabinet with built in storage) and set the egg nest next to it? Easier build, no worries about it burning and it's just as handy. Easier to build too! Just don't put it on a wooden deck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Custom tables are the “centerpiece” of many patio’s and decks.  People tend to congregate around them and talk about the build, etc.  it’s a pride thing!
  • nolaegghead
    I don't understand the fascination with egg tables. You have to build it to support the weight of the egg and once it's built, you cut a hole in it! Why not just build or buy a nice patio table (or a cabinet with built in storage) and set the egg nest next to it? Easier build, no worries about it burning and it's just as handy. Easier to build too! Just don't put it on a wooden deck.
    Those that understand them have them.  Don't feel bad.
    Would be really cool if you added a rail system above the table where you could "automate" lifting the lid, picking up food and moving it.  It's the future.
    Spare me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Spare me.
    I will when you will lose the inclination to negatively  comment on how a table is impractical surrounding a cooking surface and realize that is a work space.
    Touting the flammability of wood tables is legit, though this is aluminum.
    I would prefer item strut or bosch

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Occasionally, RD will have stainless kitchen work tables overstocked, or slightly nicked for blow out prices. If a table is your thing, this might be an avenue for you to investigate. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Pinball, I saw your table and that's what got me to thinking about non wood options. Your table is very nice, I especially like the concrete and glass top. A build such as yours is not out of the question. However, I don't have a welder and I've seen the results of going down the rabbit hole of bringing one home. It leads to crazy town!

• YukonRon said:
    Occasionally, RD will have stainless kitchen work tables overstocked, or slightly nicked for blow out prices. If a table is your thing, this might be an avenue for you to investigate. 
    Thanks Ron. I've been looking at tables from websturaunt and Zesco online. Zesco has a bricks and mortar place in Indy that has used stuff but I haven't been able to get there since this idea surfaced. I'd never heard of RD until this week but as I understand you need to have a business to shop there. Am I wrong on that? Is there one in Louisville if not? I'll be in Louisville for work for the next 2-3 weeks and could swing by if so. Thanks
  • HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    80/20 is aluminum extrusions in a variety of standard shapes/sizes.

It's designed to be able to bolt together very quickly using slotted fasteners.

Cool stuff, however, as @nolaegghead said it can be kinda $$$. Some decent deals on ebay for some of the more commonly used profiles.
    You could just buy aluminum angle and drill holes where required no? Ally drills pretty easily

Steve 

Caledon, ON