Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Candy

My mother in law flew in this week to help out with the addition of our little man cub at the end of last week.  One of her favorites is what we just call candied bacon which is my variation of the pork belly bites.  I have great in laws so anything I can do show appreciation for flying in for the week I will do.  I soak the bacon overnight in bourbon and brown sugar mix and then coat each slice with brown sugar stacking it back into a block.  Skewer the bacon, coat the outsides with more brown sugar and then on the egg with some smoke until it has a nice carmelized char on it.  Should be 3-4 hours to finish.  Tri-tip is thawing and seasoning in the fridge for tomorrow.  

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Sounds good. What temp do you cook at? When it is done is it all fused together or do the pieces separate? 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Cook at around 240-260 and will sometimes run the temp up to around 300 at the end of the cook to carmelize the outside better.  When done, cut the bacon into about 1" bites and it separates fairly well. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Nice @FarmingPhD! Love Bacon Candy!!if you are bored some time, set your oven as low as it will go, say 170 ( or use dehydrator) prop the door open a bit and dehydrate it then you have Bacon Candy Jerky...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    @FarmingPhD, do you have any finished pictures of that?

Sounds like a fantastic thing to cook while home entertaining family over the holidays.   Yum.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Better half had some errands to run so I had to cut off the cook probably a half hour before I wanted to.  The ends crisped up nice, the center is cooked but not crispy like I prefer.  Still really good. If I get a chance I'll post a picture of the chopped pieces.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Better half had some errands to run so I had to cut off the cook probably a half hour before I wanted to.  The ends crisped up nice, the center is cooked but not crispy like I prefer.  Still really good. If I get a chance I'll post a picture of the chopped pieces.

Nice
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian