Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Much Smoke?

Options
I kind of blew it last night with some chicken parts (legs and thighs).  To me they were pretty good but I probably overdid the apple chips in a smoker and did not have the patience to wait until the smoke was "clear" coming out of the dome.  Well while the result was fine if you REALLY,REALLY like smoke my wife was not so inclined.

I now want to do a duck.  Is the only way to do it either rotisserie or indirect?  I would imagine that to be true just because of the enormous amount of fat.  If indirect can I avoid an overwhelming smoke flavor?

Thanks.  And thanks to all that helped me begin to get the hang of Egging
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Poultry is best with an extremely light touch of smoke. Extremely light.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Driller
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Poultry is best with an extremely light touch of smoke. Extremely light.
    OK, got that.  But how is it avoided?  Pretty much how I had pointed out that perhaps too many chips and too much smoke when first put in the Egg?
    Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Why don't you try smoking with no wood chunks/chips, just the lump. That right there will give you some smoke, maybe all you need.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    What @Woodchunk said. I had this issue the first couple of times with poultry. Just using the lump alone (or a chunk/small handful of chips) will probably give you what you’re looking for. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Regardless of if you add, or how much smoke wood you add, wait for the fire to stabilize and you are getting good smoke.  Bad smoke will make your food taste like an ashtray.
    Options
    if im going for a bbq duck, not a med/rare cook, its 220 dome, raised grid direct 4 to 6 hours til the skin gets crunchy. unlike chicken there is enough fat in a farm raised duck to get crispy skin. i do thes stuffed with oranges and onions, or spatched, blueberries with cranberries is my go too sauce. you want a sauce thats vibrant
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    The simple smoke test- "The nose knows."  Trust the smell.  
    Also the brand of lump (and it's not Friday =) ) contributes to the smoke profile on its own.  Rockwood and Wicked Good are very smoke neutral, others like Royal Oak (suppliers to several private brands including BGE) impart more smoke flavor on their own.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've never done duck direct. Always have at least a drip pan to catch the copious fat that renders out. As above, most lump will impart a small smoke flavor, and cooking must not start till its "blue" smoke time. I've had fine results w. poultry just using a handful of pecan shells. No wood. just the shells.
  • Sherryjames
    Options
    Just use pre used lump and your good. I’m guessing your lump was new?

I do low and slows, left over lump goes to my small or mini max for chicken cooks. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I rarely ever use chips and when I do I put them in a foil pouch and poke holes in it...slows the smoke and rapid burn time of chips 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian