Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT- Sriracha Honey Bacon Jerky

lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 2,975
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Had some extra thick cut apple wood smoked bacon, been wanting to give this a try

Laid out to go in oven to render for a couple hours @170

Painted both sides with glaze of Sriracha, honey, brown sugar and paprika 

Into the Cabelas at160 for...not sure....Thanks for looking , will post finished product

Visalia, Ca

Comments

• GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 1,724
    So what is the diff between your oven at 170 and the Cabela at 160 other than 10 degrees? Just curious because I wouldn't mind chewing on some sriracha honey bacon. 
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 2,975
    GrillSgt said:
    So what is the diff between your oven at 170 and the Cabela at 160 other than 10 degrees? Just curious because I wouldn't mind chewing on some sriracha honey bacon. 
    Oven tends to run high humidity, like an Egg unless you leave the door cracked open, the dehydrator has great air circulation and just does a better job of drying without cooking....all that said, you can use an oven, just justifying my dehydrator purchase 
    Visalia, Ca
    Got it thanks. That stuff looks scrumpdilicious. 
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

Thanks @GrillSgt
    Visalia, Ca
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,367
    @ ikapigian   If I  send you  a  self addressed stamped envelope would you send me one? 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    Ha @td66snrf ...something tells me I will be chocolate coating some of these 
    Visalia, Ca
    lkapigian said:
    Oooooooohhhhhh
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

• DMWDMW Posts: 12,467
    lkapigian said:
    Now that's just taunting. I want one as-is and one coated in chocolate.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,663
    "Did someone say bacon?"

Image result for henapple bacon

"Did someone say bacon?"

I like the rainbow diaper, really steps it up a notch.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
    DMW said:
    "Did someone say bacon?"

I like the rainbow diaper, really steps it up a notch.
    H a, have not seen this in a while 
    Visalia, Ca
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,502

Man this sounds good @Ikapigian .  I want to get into making it at some point.  I thought you wanted super lean meat for jerky?

Phoenix 
    blasting said:

Man this sounds good @Ikapigian .  I want to get into making it at some point.  I thought you wanted super lean meat for jerky?

@blasting, correct about the lean meat , this is a very short life , albeit tasty, novelty 
    Visalia, Ca
    About 13 hours in and close, pleased with the color and holding shape nicely 

Visalia, Ca
    19 hours in the Dehydrator., 21 hours total OMG this stuff is good

Visalia, Ca
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,485
    That looks delicious.  Nice post.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Low N Slow Pig Candy.   I've made something similar but at higher temp for crispier texture.  Will give this a shot in my MES.  Thanks for sharing.
    SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
    Thanks @SSQUAL612 @bgebrent I've done the pig can't in the smoker before, but this dehydrator method is awesome ...put some chocolate on some

Visalia, Ca
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,502
    @ikapigian ; That looks terrific.  A dehydrator is in my future.  Thanks for posting.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian said:
    Thanks @SSQUAL612 @bgebrent I've done the pig can't in the smoker before, but this dehydrator method is awesome ...put some chocolate on some

Now that looks sinfully delicious. 
    SoCal  XL BGE 2016, MES, 18.5 WSM,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
    blasting said:
    @ikapigian ; That looks terrific.  A dehydrator is in my future.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks @blasting
    Visalia, Ca
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,535
    Bravo!!!!!!
    Thanks @pgprescott
    Visalia, Ca
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,771
    I knew there was a reason for avoiding this thread.  Great cook and documentation right there-only issue is the dehydrator toy.  I'm gonna mess around with the tools at hand (sounds like the clock box may have a role) and give this a go.
    Congrats.  What a unique Xmas gift.  
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    Thanks @lousubcap
    Visalia, Ca
    They packaged nicely 

Visalia, Ca
    lkapigian said:
    They packaged nicely 

Does that mean you have some packaged up to send my way? That's so nice of you, not needed, but so nice.
    Morgantown, PA

DMW said:
    lkapigian said:
    They packaged nicely 

Does that mean you have some packaged up to send my way? That's so nice of you, not needed, but so nice.
    Thanks @DMW , I'm putting more in today PM your address , I think it will ship ok
    Visalia, Ca
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,535
    I think you could easily have a little side business right there.  Local farmers market? 
    @pgprescott in. California, Cottage Industries ( home prepped products for sale ) do not allow meat products....But I can give it away to friends  =) 
    Visalia, Ca