Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide Corned Beef time/temp?

Options
Anybody had good results with sous vide Corned Beef? I've been brining a brisket for week and ready to put it in the bath.
Most of the recipes I see are 140º for 48 hrs, though Serious Eats tested various results ending up at Kenji's favorite  - 180º for 24 hours.

I'm looking for a firmer brisket for slicing for sandwiches.  Let me know if you've had good results.

thx

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use the Man Vs meat Pastrami recipe and I really liked it. He does 72 hours at 62c. Chef steps does 65c for 48 hours. I have done both with good results

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    btw- both were still plenty firm. I ran them through my slicer just fine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Please stop using metric, you commie bastard!

Back on topic, if it's a lean flat, I would go with the lower temps.  If it's fatty, or the point, I would go with higher temps as you want to render fat out.  What I would do with a whole brisket is remove the flat and SV low to preserve the little fat and just boil the point.   Not very sexy, but I'm results oriented.