Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Securing your valuable camping gear

GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,184
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I haven't done a great deal of camping as of late (my wife is not a fan of bugs), but I have been putting some thought into camping trips next summer. 

I was thinking that I'd take some of my nicer gear on my next trip; principally, my MiniMax, Yeti Tundra, a nice Coleman lantern, a new Coleman tent, etc. In thinking about it though, I'm unsure as to how I'm going to secure this stuff when I leave the site (e.g., for hikes, day trips, running to pick up provisions, etc.) - especially the MiniMax, which will stay hot for several hours after a cook and therefore won't be ready to be placed into a vehicle or tent (both because of the fire hazard and the carbon monoxide). 

What, if any, steps do you all take to secure your camping gear when you leave the campsite? How do you approach the issue of potential theft?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've got a couple of rubber coated steel cables i run through the valuables.  

They can be cut with right tools, but hopefully they will move on to easier pickings.
    Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2017
    Kick ash basket in the minimax.   Lift it out with tongs, and leave the lid open to cool.  30 min tops.

Check out the lotus grill if your looking at a really fast charcoal cooker.  Very cool and well made.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    I have a rubber coated cable for my small that @blasting mentioned, have used it once, but would recommend running it through the hinge part.  My Pelicans stay tucked out of sight at the end of the bed for easy access.  With the gate up, it hides them well.  Tonneau even better.  We park the RTIC almost out of sight, hoping the thieves grab it over the Pelicans.  ;)

The Akorn Jr is a nice cheaper grab and grill option as well. 

If I had to lock everything down and worry about theft, I would not camp.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I camp in state parks in south Mississippi. Never had anything taken from my camp site. Not since I was in the Boy Scouts anyhow.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    @GrateEggspectations
    Anybody that wants anything bad enough they will get it.
    I do a lot of camping, and take the MM with me whenever I go. Depending on where you camp will be the major determination of how you camp, and the precautions you should make for the protection of your gear.
    A couple of cables with locks should do the trick. There are locks out there designed to defeat bolt cutters, and they are available at any big box hardware store. I use them. The bolts are designed to keep the cutting blades from making enough contact to cut.
    I do mostly campground camping in National Forests with My Beautiful Wife, but the campsite is fairly remote and a good distance away from others, where 1) most of my gear can't be seen by them, or 2) from anyone on the road.
    Add being able to secure it to trees and/or permanent fixtures (picnic tables, etc.) Makes it very difficult to get, then carry.
    I also use locks on my Yeti 65 for keeping the critters out.
    I secure everything before we hike and at night. I have been doing this for years, and have had zero issues.
    Enjoy the outdoors. There is a beautiful country out there waiting.
    Have fun.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    lanterns and whatnot go in the tent. havent had anything stolen while camping either in parks or way off the trail. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I started camping as a Boy Scout when about 12 and only once have had anything disappear from a campsite. It was a lantern camped in AZ. It was not in the truck the next night. I have had camping gear stolen from a family members front yard out of my pickup without the cover due to a motorcycle in the back.
    I camp on a motorcycle and thus cannot lock up stuff,but do try to put most items back in saddle bags to stay dry during rain and to keep the vandals with stripes on their tails out. I've had them get into stuff in cloth bags.

Bob -camping for well over 60years.
    Cooking on the coast
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    blasting said:

I've got a couple of rubber coated steel cables i run through the valuables.  

They can be cut with right tools, but hopefully they will move on to easier pickings.
    I agree with @Blasting ......if you string your valuables together, it will make it very difficult to handle unless they have proper size cutters. We do this at our tailgate all the time which in my opinion is much higher risk than camping.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Avoid camping in Compton.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I put most things in the truck when I leave.  Only thing I have lost/stolen was my thermapen.  Left it in my chair cup holder.  When I got back to camp it was gone.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Given that camping very often involves adult beverages, I'm going to go ahead and assume half of these "thefts" were really just losses due to severe impairment (in which case you can extend my question to include securing gear against yourself).  ;)
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    What are these "hikes" you speak of?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Given that camping very often involves adult beverages, I'm going to go ahead and assume half of these "thefts" were really just losses due to severe impairment (in which case you can extend my question to include securing gear against yourself).  ;)
    Exactly why I said lost/theft ..... I checked camp real well when I packed up, but I cannot completely guarantee I am not the culprit ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gym said:
    You know.... when you have to walk an uphill slope to get to your cooler.  =)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Given that camping very often involves adult beverages, I'm going to go ahead and assume half of these "thefts" were really just losses due to severe impairment (in which case you can extend my question to include securing gear against yourself).  ;)
    Exactly why I said lost/theft ..... I checked camp real well when I packed up, but I cannot completely guarantee I am not the culprit ;)

Ozzie - probably a good idea to run a heavy duty cable through the new Tpen.  

Phoenix 
  • Thanks for the feedback all. 

To circle back, I've gone ahead and ordered a 3/8" 30' cable lock. I know it is not the be all and end all for securing my valuables, but hopefully, it will serve as a deterrent. As a bonus, I'll use it when setting up the MM on my front porch, which I do frequently without any sort of anti-theft controls (other than the weight of the MM itself  ;)).
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i would not get really carried away, if they cant steal the minimax, they just might smash it.  my 6 hp trolling motor is locked to the transom on the boat, if someone wanted it a battery operated sawzall could easilly cut off part of the wood/fiberglass transom :o easier than cutting the lock
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,184
    edited November 2017
    i would not get really carried away, if they cant steal the minimax, they just might smash it.  my 6 hp trolling motor is locked to the transom on the boat, if someone wanted it a battery operated sawzall could easilly cut off part of the wood/fiberglass transom :o easier than cutting the lock
    Not really getting carried away. The cable lock was a $20 CAD purchase.  =)

....And yes, if someone is really determined to steal or damage the goods, it will likely happen regardless. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Gym said:
    Wondering around looking for tree markins so I hear. Not sure it makes sense.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I saw @northGAcock comment in this thread and figured he'd be providing us with methods to which secure Honda generators.... =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.