Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yearly Reminder

Options
Calibrate your thermometers before the turkey goes on.  Just to be safe.   Don't want to overcook or have burned skin because you are running hot or have to wait and be late for edibles cause your running cold.   

Happy Holidays Eggers.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I am on the wrong side of the annual suggestion- I will give the dome thermos a check-ride before every serious L&S cook or at around a 6 week interval.  That also includes every protein reading thermo in-house including the el cheapo grocery store slow response (oven safe) analog version.  Given the lack of calibration issues I have had with the BGE tel-true thermos you could say it is over-kill but 5 minutes is nothing compared with the potential of hosing a SRF brisket, or any protein for that matter.  You've gotta believe your indications.  FWIW-
    Off the calibration soap-box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tap water is 110 right?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    Fix your water heater.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    Fix your water heater.
    I set it for to pizza dough yeast.  Saves a lot of time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    Fix your water heater.
    Get a new pizza dough recipe.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    Fix your water heater.
    Get a new pizza dough recipe.
    Nah.  And they can always bathe in the lake  B)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    120 if you have a tankless heater you miscreant.
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    120 if you have a tankless heater you miscreant.
    Dammit!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We replaced all our plumbing in he bottomless money pit. We got that going for us. Yippee.

Great PSA Matt, thank you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I just cook the turkey in the microwave.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    Tap water is 110 right?
    Fix your water heater.

You shouldn't use hot water because of the impurities and gunk that build up in the hot water lines.  Use cold and heat it.

Or just call it flavor.
    NOLA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Great reminder.  I check all my flameboss probes as well.  I had one reading 7 degrees off of the other ones - threw that one away.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     You've gotta believe your indications.
    Spoken like a true nuke.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CTMike - I will carry that to my grave.  And it has always made sense. 
    Have a great Thanksgiving.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,113
    Options
    Check yu'r nuts too.  Don't want any tops falling off.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CTMike - I will carry that to my grave.  And it has always made sense. 
    Have a great Thanksgiving.  
    Agreed, it has served me well many times, both on the boats and the commercial side. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,113
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am on the wrong side of the annual suggestion- I will give the dome thermos a check-ride before every serious L&S cook or at around a 6 week interval.  That also includes every protein reading thermo in-house including the el cheapo grocery store slow response (oven safe) analog version.  Given the lack of calibration issues I have had with the BGE tel-true thermos you could say it is over-kill but 5 minutes is nothing compared with the potential of hosing a SRF brisket, or any protein for that matter.  You've gotta believe your indications.  FWIW-
    Off the calibration soap-box.  
    Folks never want to belive their instrumentation when they have a problem.  Coming from 10 years in test and development my "customers" always blamed my instrumentation, never their hardware.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I just did all 3 of mine and they ranged anywhere from 20 - 75° off.  Funny thing they were all on the light side.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - You didn't offer but I would guess that 98%+ of the time (I don't know your industry or standards) it was the hardware.  "You've gotta believe your indications," and the corollary-do what it takes to trust your indications.  
    Happy Thanksgiving Eve.