Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly/Bacon Question

Options
So, I've got some pork belly curing for about a week now and am planning to smoke it on Sunday.  The recipe I'm using calls for hot smoke, but I've over-engineered and built a cold smoking unit that I've used with great results for salmon, cheese and nuts.  Is there any reason I shouldn't cold smoke my pork belly/bacon?  What food safety, microbe, trichinosis issues should I be worrying about?  Before I fall headlong into the google wormhole on this, I thought I'd start here to see what all y'all eggsperts and amateurs have to say on the subject.  Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• OhioEgger
    Options
    I cold smoke mine and I'm still here.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I believe you will be safe since you've cured. I've made hundreds of pounds of bacon at home, but haven't deviated from my original methods. I cure according to Ruhlman @ a 3% ratio and hot smoke to 150F IT
    Pratt, KS
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'm no expert, so keep that in mind. I made bacon for the first time last year. I cold smoked the belly first (in 30 something degree weather). I followed that with hot smoke to the recommended IT. I reasoned the cure and the cold temps during the cold smoke were protection enough from becoming ill, sick, or dead. 
    Maybe @20stone or another of the curing gurus will chime in soon.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I am good to go after the cold smoke, subject to finishing in a skillet.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Thx, all. I'm going to let it sit in the cure for a few extra days to be extra safe and cold smoke. Pix
    to follow next week. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Now we’re cold smokin!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Cold or hot smoke after your cure works. Dealers choice. Looking good. PM me and I’ll get you my address. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga