Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Firefox Quantum/v57...Yowza!

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,324
Anybody that has used Firefox in the past but now never or rarely uses it should definitely give the newest version - 57 - a go.

Wow! Blazing fast (but so is Chrome, generally).

The biggest (and most important) improvement for me vs. Chrome is memory/resource usage. I generally have a dozen windows open with about a total of 70-90 tabs total open spread across three desktops and with Chrome (a known memory hog) it eventually sucks up about 20+ gigs of my 32gb of RAM, often just leaving me with a few hundred megs of free memory which can really gum things up. I'll often need to restart Chrome a couple of times a day.

Right now with Chrome closed and running Firefox v57 with almost all the same windows/tabs opened the Fox is only using about 8 gigs of RAM.

So far, that alone is worth using the Fox as my main browser (once I get all the various extensions that are different between the two sorted out).

Anyway, worth checking out the latest version of Firefox!
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• Dozen windows open and 70-90 tabs? Wow if that isn't for work then you need to get outside and cook more!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Impressive evaluation. Thank you for the heads up. My son will be impressed. I will share your insight.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, faster, and it seems like image render a little clearer. Have just started adding extensions back in, so to early for reports or impressions.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I didn’t realize defending KJ’s honor on cooking forums took so much computing power. 
  • HeavyG
    I didn’t realize defending KJ’s honor on cooking forums took so much computing power. 
    Well when you are just one guy doing the work of a whole Russian troll farm you need a lot of open tabs. :)

Speaking of KJ (hey...you brought it up! :) )...

They're adding a new model to the lineup:

A new family portrait:

I hope they change the dome of the Big Joe to a taller version down the road.

For the new Joe Pro they are offering the new top vent in solid stainless:

I believe they will be sold separately for anyone wanting to swap their cast iron vents for the stainless.

Their new optional table/cart:

And they are just waiting for final FCC approval for their iKamand controller:

Don't bother adding any of these to your Xmas list as they won't hit the streets until Feb 2018.

Whew...I'm exhausted... time for a vodka and a nap.

Cheers! / до свидания

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Dozen windows open and 70-90 tabs? Wow if that isn't for work then you need to get outside and cook more!
    And if it IS for work, you need to get outside and cook more!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    maybe it's the same for the BGEs, but it sure seems there isn't much of a difference in cooking surface size between the different KJs.  Otherwise, what's the point of different size vessels?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just kicking the tires now. Chrome was my go-to browser, might not be the case tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Sadly, I still need to use Java, I'm stuck on the Firefox extended service release.
    I will give the new one a try.
  • DMW
    Holy crap this is fast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Agreed.  Using the updated Firefox now and it is faster.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• HeavyG
    DMW said:
    Holy crap this is fast.
    Whenever I've felt the need to restart Chrome with all my stuff open it generally took close to a minute from telling it to quit till it would be totally shut down.

I just tried the same exercise with Firefox running almost as many windows/tabs and  - BOOM - closed down completely in about three seconds. Did not expect that! Didn't really need to restart it as I have not dropped below 5gb of free RAM all day.

Restarting Firefox was far faster than Chrome. It even kept the windows I had maximized in that state on reopening. I still need to drag them to new desktops but that is a two second task.

The only minor flaw I have found is that I read a lot of magazines full screen via Zinio and Chrome seems a little bit smoother but the difference doesn't merit using Chrome full time any longer.

So far, Firefox 57 looks like my new default browser.

• DMW
    It doesn't seem to work with VMware vCenter Flash UI, even after installing the latest version of Flash (may it rot in hell). The new vCenter HTML5 UI works great, but not all vCenter features/functions are in the H5 UI yet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HeavyG
    DMW said:
    It doesn't seem to work with VMware vCenter Flash UI, even after installing the latest version of Flash (may it rot in hell). The new vCenter HTML5 UI works great, but not all vCenter features/functions are in the H5 UI yet.
    Flash rears its ugly head yet again.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I'm impressed. It's very fast.
  • While Quantum does seem to be faster many of the old extensions will not work.  One of my favorites was Theme Font and Size Changer which made the browser a lot easier to read (Bookmarks, toolbars, tabs, search window).  It and many others are gone due to a different architecture with Quantum.
    "Get in my belly!" - Fat Bastard

LBGE - Kick Ash Basket, SS Smokeware Cap, CGS PSWoo-CI, Spider, Wok, Broil King Gasser
    Noblesville, IN
  • HeavyG
    While Quantum does seem to be faster many of the old extensions will not work.  One of my favorites was Theme Font and Size Changer which made the browser a lot easier to read (Bookmarks, toolbars, tabs, search window).  It and many others are gone due to a different architecture with Quantum.
    It's not unusual for many extensions to "break" between upgrades. One of my favorite Firefox extensions broke with this upgrade and according to the developer won't likely be available for a couple of months.

I always keep installs of a previous version or two installed just in case some much used extensions break.

That said, version 57 has so far been so impressive that I'll likely be using it 95% of the time.

• Botch
    For those of you now on Firefox, does it eliminate/significantly reduce the ridiculously-slow  photo loading on this site?  That alone would make it worth loading for me (I'm otherwise just fine with Safari).  Thanks.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I use Safari, find it fast and great, especially LOVE the new version not allowing videos to automatically play.  But once in a while some website won't display properly on it, and it just irritates me.  Reminds me of the "browser wars" where some sites would say, "Best viewed with Internet Explorer," or "Best viewed with Netscape."  Websites should work properly on ALL major browsers.

I have Firefox (and Firefox Developer) and Chrome, just mostly use Safari, though.
  • DMW
    At this point, seems like everything I need to do I can do in Quantum. Just need to get Quantum logged in to all the sites I visit. Unless Chrome does a major overhaul like Firefox did, I'm ditching Chrome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA