Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Brine or Not to Brine, That is the Question.....

Options
Driller
Driller Posts: 56
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I am finally getting the temperature control thing done thanks for the feedback.

Now, the first couple of things I have smoked have turned out wonderfully juicy, tasty and way, way, way too salty (for my taste).  Is it really necessary to "brine"?  For those of us who do not live with a salt shaker in their hip pocket do we even need to do this step?

1. Or, are the "brines"  basically marinades and one could leave the salt out of the recipes?   
  2. Is it the soaking that allows for the moistness of the final dish?

Thanks ahead of time and look forward to the replies.
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited November 2017
    Options
    In the no camp unless curing fish by smoking
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never brined anything. Ever. Then I had to go on a lo sodium diet so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't. And I have never had egged food (or Weber'd or Oven'd) food that wasn't juicy and delicious. I think brining is seriously overhyped. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHill
    EggHill Posts: 20
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The reason that brining is so effective in making your meats so so so juicy that the juices flow like the mind of Bruce Lee is because of the affect of the salt on muscle fibers. In a normal unbrined... turkey for example, when you cook the meat the muscle fibers heat up and contract squeezing the delicious succulent juices out and down and inevitably falling into the drip pan that you’ve placed on to your plate setter to keep them from burning and ruining that gorgeous smoked flavour. Back to the topic at hand. Anyway, when you brine the turkey you are causing these muscle fibers to begin degrading which prevents these delicious meats from being able to squeeze out the nectar of the BGE gods. In hindsight a better option (IMO) using something high in acid and a lot less salty like lime juice or vinegar that can break down the proteins into sugars and a bit of butter for some minor salinity, inject that the night before for a beautifully juicy meat. If you have an extra egg on hand (I don’t at the moment) I would recommend kicking it up to about 500-650 and searing the meat after applying a glaze to create a jacket around the meat and seal in that flavor juice, unless you are doing a smoke in which case you would want the meat exposed so it can absorb as much smoke flavour as possible.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Chicken for my house is a must, everything else not so much.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    @Driller, what strength brine were you using, for how long, but most importantly what kind of meat?
    I've never brined beef or fish, but usually pork and sometimes chicken; I think they come out better (and I have brined one of two pork chops before grilling both, so I have a direct, side-by-side comparison telling me brining was better).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• EggHill
    Options
    @Botch I found that it doesn’t really affect the meat much when you change the salinity percentage except for the amount of saltiness. The moisture levels don’t seem to change much beyond that 8% salt by weight of brine is usually plenty but some people go as high as 35%.
  • bigegger
    Options
    On some triple-D episodes some briskets and slabs of meats are brined for up to 2 weeks..i wonder if there is any truth to that or if it really makes a difference

LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    What meats are you brining?   Unless it's fresh turkey/chicken I see no need.  Cook it to the correct temp and you get juicy meat.   Pork or steak I'll do dry brine for a couple of hrs.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I brine pork and poultry. I find the results to be positive. Brines and marinades are part of my cooking repertoire and have been for years. I have not seen the first instance that would change my mind, because the results have been excellent.
    Personal choice, I suppose. Good for you, that choose not to.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    EggHill is right that the salt begins to break down the muscle fiber. But the other half of it is that the salt is hygroscopic.  At first, the salt in the bring draws water out of the meat. But then as the salt begins to penetrate into the meat, it draws more water in with it, and holds it more tightly in the meat than the meat would.

Most meats used for 'Q don't need to be brined, because they have enough internal fat and connective tissue to keep the cooked meat succulent. Cuts, light poultry white meat, or pork loin, that have little or no fat, and are a solid mass of muscle do benefit.

If what you are making is too salty (somewhat a matter of taste) you may be using too much salt and/or letting the process go on too long.

Look up "equilibrium brining." It is a method that prevents high levels of salinity. Typically, there's no more than .5% - 2% of salt to the weight of the meat. An average turkey breast would need less than 2/3 oz of salt. But it does take longer than usual.

• Driller
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you comments.  I think I have a direction in which to go now.
    Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.