Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- marooned on the island of Kauai in Hawaii without my eggs

Options
 I am 3 days into my 30 day interment on this island that has served as the backdrop for so many tropical island movies during the last 40 years.
Sure it is lush, sure it has the most beautiful beaches and mountains and waterfalls in the world.
 Sure it is a perfect 80 degrees and sunny every day.
Sure I am here with an incredibly beautiful woman who inexplicably has  stayed married to me for 37 years.
Sure my favorite  SEC football teams , with the exception of my beloved Gators , had a great day today. Additionally Clemson and Miami won so that's all good. How bout them Dawgs!
FYI it is really weird watching SEC football at 0800  local time ( to early for beer)...
Why do I feel empty ?  I doubt ....there is ONE big green egg on this island. I find myself cooking on a Webber genisis at this rental condo but it's like driving a Hyundai At Talladega.
my only consolation is reading this forum. I find  reading your posts to be as soothing an aloe gel on my sunburned skin.
have a safe weekend all.

Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
BGE  medium and minimax
HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Flint, Michigan
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Kuai is incredible.  Have a beer at the queens bath for me will ya?

Oh and get some coconut ice cream
    Lastly dont fret not having the egg...costco has ahi tuna raw in butcher case thats amazing...the roosters and chickens roaming around should make you laugh....

Oh and your Gators will probably get a new coach....from oregon ducks....keep an eye out
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think you'll manage. Lol

Best place, hike(Kalalau Trail) I've been to in my life.  Through guided imagery, I'm there now.

K'e Beach, Hanalei, Waimea Canyon in the convertible Mustang rental, Kauai Coffee, Queens Bath, Puka Dogs!

Enjoy every minute of it.  B)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Kauai is my favorite place on the planet.  

You may not have your egg, but there is plenty of good food there. 

Brennecke Beach Broiler

The Beach House

Roy's

(We tend  to hang around the south shore - Roy's is great but the other two are better).

And things to do:

Learn to surf at the Kauai Marriot (has a nearly all year round consistent wave in the bay)

Take a snorkel trip down the Na Pali Coast (go with one of the operators that can run off the north shore, not from the west.  There's been a legal battle about this for years...)

See the Waimea Canyon

Visit/hike the Alakai Swamp

Kayak past the Menehune Fish Pond and up into the area where they filmed the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where he was running from the big stone ball.

Go to Shipwreck Beach and jump off the cliff where they jumped in 6 Days 7 Nights.

Take a helicopter tour.

Etc, etc

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I would do just fine on Kauai without a BGE if that was my sentence.  Enjoy all the benefits you addressed and the many more provided above.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    No sympathy here. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    When I travel for work I go to Oklahoma.
    Crybaby.

:tongue:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    There are supposedly at least 3 BGEs on the island... at the one dealer on the island

If you really find yourself going into BGE withdrawals you might stop by and see if they have one they cook on and talk them into letting you do a demo cook.  =)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Get the paddle board out.... 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Go to Mark's Place in the Industrial complex off of Puhi Rd.  Also have a bowl of Saimin for me at Hamura's on "K" St in Lihue. If you go to the Beach House use the Valet for parking. The property across the road will tow.

Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My favorite place without hesitation.  I'd kill to be there right now, with or without an egg.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I can think of worse places to be.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Many thanks to all for the thoughts and great suggestions. Since all of you took the time to share ideas with me,i promise to follow up on every suggestion.
    we attend catholic mass every Sunday while here. A direct quote from the priest during the sermon yesterday...

"every day you spend on Kauai is one less day you will spend in heaven, as you are already there!"

For such a small island, the fact that we have a Costco is incredible. The rack of lamb i got there and cooked on the above mentioned weber grill was excellent....wudda been better on my MM tho.

Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I cant wait to get back to kauai...,simply beautiful
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    tml1230 said:

Why do I feel empty ?  I doubt ....there is ONE big green egg on this island. I find myself cooking on a Webber genisis at this rental condo but it's like driving a Hyundai At Talladega.

Hey now.... I resemble that remark!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum