Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another brisket question...

Options
Hey all,
A friend just picked up a 16lb brisket for a birthday lunch this Saturday. I know the "cow controls the cook"  but anyone want to give us a guess at time/temp to put it on?

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If your willing to stay up all night, 225 degrees around 9 or 10 pm, wake up in the morning (8am) with it in the stall (or there abouts) wrap and finish about 1pm .. cooler for a couple hrs, eat @ 4 or 5.

For a lunch meal, start 3 hrs earlier.

That's my plan for you.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    If I needed a 16 pounder for lunch, I'd throw it on around dinner time the night before.  I'd cook it at 250 - 275 and see where it is sitting temp-wise around 10-11 PM when I might fine tune it just a little and go to bed.  Do you have a temp probe with an alarm that you trust.  It would come in very handy.  If not, I'd check it every 2 hours until it is at least 180 and then I would stay with it until it is done.  I like using butcher paper when it gets around 170 and I'm happy with the bark.  At 4-6 AM (depending on how this plays out) I'd reassess the timing and consider raising the temp and/or wrapping in foil if needed to expedite the cook.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Turns out my buddy was late getting home from work. Asked me to throw it on for him. I just got it stabilized and clean smoke. Protein went on at 15:52. @ 225. I put the point at the back. Do you think I should turn it around?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Gym said:
    Turns out my buddy was late getting home from work. Asked me to throw it on for him. I just got it stabilized and clean smoke. Protein went on at 15:52. @ 225. I put the point at the back. Do you think I should turn it around?
    I would not turn it around.  What size egg is that?  That brisket looks FAT!
    EDIT:  are you protected from heat on all edges of the brisket?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Point to the back is the right answer-hotter back there and the high fat content of the point means it can handle it.  Foil protect any part hanging outside your heat deflector.  
    That's a rich color for no time on the fire.  Hopefully trimmed up.  BTW- that is a well proportioned cut to get that length to width balance.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gym
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Gym said:
    I would not turn it around.  What size egg is that?  That brisket looks FAT!
    EDIT:  are you protected from heat on all edges of the brisket?  
    It's a large. Waiting for him to get home and help me put some foil to protect the areas not protected by the plate setter. Do you think I should move the meat probe into the flat? It's centered right now
  • kl8ton
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You don't have to move it.  It is just an indicator to tell when you should start checking if it probes like butter in the thickest part of the flat. 

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    That is one wide brisket.  Can't wait to see the final result. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't wait for help.  Just get the exposed parts foil protected.  
    For a better reflection of the finish-line temp and when to start checking, I would move the probe to the thick part of the flat.  The point will generally run a good 10-15 *F hotter than the flat and the flat is the finish-line indicator (probes like buttah).  All above your call .  FWIW-
    Edit:  I'm guessing this is not your first brisket rodeo-the process is always the same.  Your friend must have confidence in your process-just run with what you know.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gym
    Options
    All unprotected areas are now protected with foil. I've done several briskets but never the flat, or a full Packer of this size. So there's definately a learning curve here tonight.
  • Gym
    Options
    It took 15 hours at 225. He said it turned out great. Flat was slightly dry. I didn't even get to try it :s
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Looks great from here.  Congrats.
    You may want to let your friend know that the pay-back is a complimentary brisket courtesy of him.  ;)
  • Fayborg
    Options
    Congrats looks great.   Love that cutting board also.