Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash

Options
Have read about this gadget. Looks good---there are 2 for my LBGE---$40+ price diff for stainless steel...any advice on one better than othert? What is the less expensive made from?
LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The regular one is "raw american steel" so I suppose it's just standard steel without the chromium content stainless has. Just means it will rust over time, in terms of differences.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    I didn’t realize they had different versions. Mine must be the raw steel as it’s nearly toast after about 2 years of use.

Think I’ll opt for the SS option next time.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I have to of the "raw" steel ones, one is about 3yrs old and no rust to speak of.  I don't see the point of the stainless personally.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Go for the stainless. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My advice is to buy an ash tool and use the savings for something really important, like meat.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    My advice is to buy an ash tool and use the savings for something really important, like meat.  
    This is an even better recommendation 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have one of each. One is rusting a little and one is not. Enough to change the function? No. Enough if you have OCD it will irritate the $hit out of you?  

Yep. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I use a piece of 6” x 36” expanded metal mesh my fabrication shop gave me. And a 12” circle of the same for the bottom.  Have run it for 2 years and it doesn’t show any wear.  Should last for many years, so I don’t see the need for stainless!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,224
    Options
    If you live in a humid climate, you might be better off with the stainless. 
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    I went with the "original" vs the stainless...don't see the extra $$$ needed. I am also hoping it will improve my first start success...been hit or miss with the fire starters going out and smking like hell. Wii take the bottom grate out---thinking that will improve airflow...really feel stupid...I have the BBQ guru/pit viper set up and STILL the flames drop---I think that is due to lack of patience before I close the lid...but when in doubt, buy a new gadget!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I went with the "original" vs the stainless...don't see the extra $$$ needed. I am also hoping it will improve my first start success...been hit or miss with the fire starters going out and smking like hell. Wii take the bottom grate out---thinking that will improve airflow...really feel stupid...I have the BBQ guru/pit viper set up and STILL the flames drop---I think that is due to lack of patience before I close the lid...but when in doubt, buy a new gadget!
    With fire starters, keep the dome open until they burn out and have a good hot spot burning in the lump. If you close dome too soon, it will normally kill the flame and smolders for a LONG time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    It sounds like you need a weed burner from Harbor Freight!

https://m.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

I would give up KAB without blinking if I had to decide between the KAB and weed burner. This will solve any of your starting issues.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Coldspring
    Options
    A Harbor Freight heat gun works great, gets it started in less than a minute. If you have a current sale catalog there is a coupon for about $9.
  • PatrickJ117
    Options
    A flame thrower...the bride would have me sleeping in the tool shed out back! LOL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    Options
    A flame thrower...the bride would have me sleeping in the tool shed out back! LOL
    It's really not that bad. You can adjust the flame size you want coming out of the torch. I hate lighting my egg any other way. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You can assure her....that a weed torch is not a flamethrower.  I use a MAPP torch and I'll never go back. 

Weed Torch

Flamethrower

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN