Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

POLL - How many of you use the wire spark screen behind your lower draft door?

Options
I cook on a stone patio and don't see the need. I'm curious if those of you who may use it from time to time experience a difference of air flow in your normal set position. Say where you set your lower door for 250F with the screen is a different position without the screen. 
Pratt, KS

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I cook on a deck and see the need.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I never use it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Always use it and I cook on a concrete porch.  Figure it's there so why not.  Never have any air-flow problems.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I have always used it from day one. I know why its there and who it affected. No reason to chance it.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    I use it, and always have - even on our patio at the old house.  I'm Egging on a deck at the new house with lots of trees around it, so not taking any chances.
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use mine on a concrete patio but I find the inner screen door and the outer solid door interfere with one another. This makes it difficult to move them independently, especially with one hand.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I started using it last summer after I stepped on a hot ember barefoot that shot out on my concrete patio. 
    Somehow it doesn't seem like a bother to make sure it is closed anymore.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I have always used it. Started out on a wood deck, but moved to a concrete patio a couple of years ago, so habits die hard.

I actually find it useful. I start out with everything wide open, then when the temp starts getting up there I close the spark screen and that cuts about 50% of the airflow. As time goes by I gradually close the outer door as needed.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I have always used it. Started out on a wood deck, but moved to a concrete patio a couple of years ago, so habits die hard.

I actually find it useful. I start out with everything wide open, then when the temp starts getting up there I close the spark screen and that cuts about 50% of the airflow. As time goes by I gradually close the outer door as needed.
    Yep - me too.  Never thought of it as spark catcher, more a filter.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    always
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Always!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • pinballLooking
    Options

Always I cook on a wood deck

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Always... I am on concrete with wood table
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I use it exactly never. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I use mine. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    on the deck i use it, already had an egg related fire there. the one in the yard is worn out and needs replacement
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I started using it last summer after I stepped on a hot ember barefoot that shot out on my concrete patio. 

I did the same thing but when I was transferring from a Chimney.

I use mine every time but the bottom half of the screen is shot and I never remember to replace it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I use mine but the DigiQ fan mount has shredded it.  I'm on a wood deck so have to be quite careful.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a wood table and a wood deck, I always use it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I use it....it is in the approx area of my man parts. I don't need to fire down there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Always.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I used it, but my screen broke.  I recently removed the screen insert when I bought a much stronger insert that had many small holes drilled in it rather than have a screen.  I can't insert the new piece, because it's being blocked by the nest.  I'll need to raise it out of the nest, so that I can place the insert.  I'll get to it when I get to it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I use it and don't see any reason not to, although I also haven't had air flow issues (the KAB probably helps with that).
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I used it until it disintegrated.
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I hardly use it.  However, I definitely use it when I have a fresh load of new lump and need a little better control of the airflow.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I ALWAYS use mine, even though the egg is on a concrete patio. It is still within sparking distance of my garage. As I understand the story, @Nature Boy (Dizzy Pig) lost his home because he was egging in his driveway, 10-15' away from his open garage door. This was either before they had screens or he simply wasn't using it.

Also, there's the sparks on bare legs, pets and children argument.

Why would you not use it. Yeah, there's a considerable airflow difference and therefore max temp is reduced, but I can get to 900° with mine closed. How hot do you NEED?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I wonder why KJ didn't put one on the Jr. Seems like the insurance companies would have made them put a screen on it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I wonder why KJ didn't put one on the Jr. Seems like the insurance companies would have made them put a screen on it. 
    Why? Do all the other kamado makers have screens on their models?

I know Primo doesn't, not sure about all the others.

I guess it happens but I've never seen any sparks shoot out of the bottom of my KJ Jr. And that is with a KAB which I have no idea if that would make it more or less likely to happen.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk