Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I love Leroy McMillan's way of seasoning a black steel pan!

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
I got a special offer pan from America's Test Kitchen and looked for an easy way to season it. Leroy's You Tube video made it a breeze! Here is his video:

https://youtu.be/SEsjsDoCowA

...and here is my pan:

Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2017
    Options
     :o 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    At what temp does vegetable oil catch fire?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Using an IR thermometer every step of the way, I can say it didn't catch fire at 425° while I was doing this.
    Judy in San Diego
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I had a helluva time keeping my pans seasoned. Wanted to use the smaller (9"?) for French-style omelets, and it sort of did ok for some time. Any sauce with tomatoes in it wrecked the seasoning on the large one. Eventually stopped using them. I'm using a ceramic coated skillet for omelets now and it works great. 

Could you keep us posted on how this seasoning technique works out for you, Judy? May have to pull the pans out and give it one more shot.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Will do, but I only use these two pans for meat. For things that might stick, like egg-based dishes, I will use nonstick pans just to keep life simple. "The best way to handle risk is to avoid it altogether."
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    I had a helluva time keeping my pans seasoned. Wanted to use the smaller (9"?) for French-style omelets, and it sort of did ok for some time. Any sauce with tomatoes in it wrecked the seasoning on the large one. Eventually stopped using them. I'm using a ceramic coated skillet for omelets now and it works great. 

Could you keep us posted on how this seasoning technique works out for you, Judy? May have to pull the pans out and give it one more shot.
    Trying to picture what you are using. Could you send a link?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm using a ceramic coated skillet for omelets now and it works great. 
    Could I ask what brand you use?  I bought one at Bed Bath Beyond (can't remember the brand name but the ceramic was white). I used it for bacon-n-eggs in the mornings (it never saw more than Medium heat), and the first week it worked "just like on TV!"  The second two weeks it worked like my previous T-fal, then things started sticking worse and worse; it was in the trash in less than 2 months.  
    I liked being able to see fond development against the white (as opposed to the black T-fal) but not if I have to buy 6 pans/year.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    I needed to see this! Just bought a Mauviel 8"
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Interesting. First of all, weirdest version of Thunderstruck I've heard in a while. 

That initial colour change is from oxidation. High carbon steel forms an oxide layer when heated.  You can even tell the temp based on the colour or close enough. That straw brown comes at about 400F. It's about the colour I go for when tempering a blade. I wonder what that oxide layer does for the seasoning compared to heating it with oil in it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • caliking
    Options
    @Botch - SWMBO first bought one from Marshall's that was white ceramic, but thin. As I predicted,  it went the way of the pan you bought too. A second one was "Masterclass" brand, thicker, also from Marshall's,  and has been holding up for several months, but I doubt it will last more than 2 years. She also bought a large saute pan, and a smaller 2-3 qt pot that are holding up great, probably because they don't see the kind of use that a frying pan/skillet does. 

• caliking
    Options
    @Mickey if you mean the pan its the same that @Spring Chicken shows in the vid, and the one Judy has too. 
     I love the pans - hefty, sides have the right slope to them to be able to easily stir food, or fold omelets, ans no rivets on the inside meant cleanup was easy.

But keeping the large one seasoned was a real pain in the arse. The smaller pan was used for eggs only, but I ditched using both of them in favor of the ceramic coated ones. Pity, because I really likes the pans themselves. Both were seasoned with the flaxseed oil method that has been popular recently.