Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's Done a Chuck Roast?

Options
Got a 4.5 Chuckie sitting on my fridge, been doing some research on smoking it. Just a bit confused on time.

I'm seeing 6 or 7 hrs @ 250 degrees, then I saw a  post where it took some 14 hrs @ 225 (unwrapped) .. with finish temp  in the 203 range ..

6 hrs vs 14 hrs is a very wide range, what can i really expect?

Tim 
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Got a 4.5 Chuckie sitting on my fridge, been doing some research on smoking it. Just a bit confused on time.

I'm seeing 6 or 7 hrs @ 250 degrees, then I saw a  post where it took some 14 hrs @ 225 (unwrapped) .. with finish temp  in the 203 range ..

6 hrs vs 14 hrs is a very wide range, what can i really expect?

Tim 
    I am going with 8-24 beers. Just bustin on you Tim....hope all is well out there on the left coast. Let us know how it turned out.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My last was smoked for and hour then SV for 48 hours. Was awesome
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Don’t go by temp go by when it’s done/tender 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    That sounds awesome, next chuckie for sure!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Hmm, I haven't tried that. SV for 48 and then seared (delicious!!), but haven't tried the smoke. Good idea!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Don’t go by temp go by when it’s done/tender 
    I understand that, I was hoping for a general overall time so I know whether to do an overnite cook or early AM start
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Photo Egg Hey Darian,  What temp on the SV? 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I usually do pepper stout beef and I plan about 8 hours. About 5 hours with at 250 to get to 165 IT, then 3 hours at 350 in the braise/wrap. That is for pulled beef.  Pepper Stout Beef Recipe.

@YukonRon recently posted this one:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209129/chuckn-the-minimax/p1

3.4# chuck roast, 225ish, 6.5 hours to get to 196 for slicing. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    What temp did you smoke it? SV?

XL BGE
    MD
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    What temp did you SV at?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    I will endorse the total cook time of 7-8 hours, running at around 250-260*F on the dome. About 5-6 to get into the 160's*F and then another 2 hours or so to punch it home.  Finish-line when it probes like the overworked phrase "buttah" and pulls like a finished pork butt.  Generally in the neighborhood of 210*F.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I really prefer them braised.   A good compromise is to smoke 3 or 4 hours then braise with root vegetables.  The gravy you get is delicious.

But you have to try it completely smoked for comparison.
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    Photo Egg said:
    What temp did you SV at?
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209160/5-chuck-roast#latest
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I really prefer them braised.   A good compromise is to smoke 3 or 4 hours then braise with root vegetables.  The gravy you get is delicious.

+1

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Good luck Tim.  I'm not sure I've done a chuckie as you were asking about.  Only braised.

I'm thinking I do it @Photo Egg style next time.  I need to expand my Sous Vide skills beyond chops, steaks, & chicken breasts.  Thanks for directing me to your original thread.

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Wife wants pot roast. I'm gonna do this tomorrow.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    blasting said:

Good luck Tim.  I'm not sure I've done a chuckie as you were asking about.  Only braised.

I'm thinking I do it @Photo Egg style next time.  I need to expand my Sous Vide skills beyond chops, steaks, & chicken breasts.  Thanks for directing me to your original thread.

If you are looking for shredded beef, this is not the way to go. But it was excellent. Cut away as much outer fat as possible. You don't need it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    IN a 7 Qt DO. I've done this many times. Fntastic.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:

If you are looking for shredded beef, this is not the way to go. But it was excellent. Cut away as much outer fat as possible. You don't need it.

@Photo Egg

Today was the big day.  After 1 1/2 hours in the smoke and then two days in the hot tub -  Today we ate.  This simple simple chuckie was some of the best beef I've ever eaten.  Phenomenal.  It had the texture of a perfect prime rib.  Thank you for the tip.

Tim - I hope you don't mind me putting this in your thread.

Phoenix 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    blasting said:
    Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:

@Photo Egg

Today was the big day.  After 1 1/2 hours in the smoke and then two days in the hot tub -  Today we ate.  This simple simple chuckie was some of the best beef I've ever eaten.  Phenomenal.  It had the texture of a perfect prime rib.  Thank you for the tip.

Tim - I hope you don't mind me putting this in your thread.

Hey, I love learning new techniques!!