Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger Composition?

What is everyone's prefered burger grind?  I normally just grind up a chuck roast and call it a day but I saw these perfect strips of choice, boneless short ribs at Costco and thought I'd experiment. 

So 100% short rib burgers....fat content seemed spot on.  Flavor was very super beefy without that greasy drip. Just enough fat to keep the burger moist without rendering out everywhere.

Added some crispy fried potatoes and asparagus....results were good!  Not sure if 100% short rib is the way to go or adding it in with other cuts. Would love to know thoughts on this. 
LBGE in Elm Grove, WI

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Kenji has an interesting article on his favorite combo. 4-5 different cuts as I recall. Haven't read this in a long time and have never done it.

I think this is it.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Kenji has an interesting article on his favorite combo. 4-5 different cuts as I recall. Haven't read this in a long time and have never done it.

I think this is it.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html
    His final mix is confusing and you'd miss it if you were skimming through the article. Was it one part oxtail and brisket mixture and 2 parts sirloin? Or 1 part oxtail, 1 part brisket, 2 parts sirloin? 

OP: those burgers look great. I would think beef ribs were a good choice.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    If you had invited me over for dinner, my favorite grind would be short rib.  :)=)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I just got a grinder and was wondering the same thing.  A local steakhouse makes a killer burger with brisket, filet mignon and short ribs, but I'm not sure of their ratio.

I'll be following this thread....
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Toxarch said:

I think this is it.

His final mix is confusing and you'd miss it if you were skimming through the article. Was it one part oxtail and brisket mixture and 2 parts sirloin? Or 1 part oxtail, 1 part brisket, 2 parts sirloin? 

Serious Eats like to put the actual "recipe" for things on a separate page. From that page, it goes to the Blue Label Burger Blend, which is...
    6oz sirloin
    5oz brisket
    5oz oxtail meat/fat removed from bone
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Those roasted red potatoes look delicious!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    HellrodKC said:
    Toxarch said:

I think this is it.

Serious Eats like to put the actual "recipe" for things on a separate page. From that page, it goes to the Blue Label Burger Blend, which is...
    6oz sirloin
    5oz brisket
    Thanks, but makes me wonder what happened to the 2 parts sirloin that he described in the article.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

HellrodKC said:

6oz sirloin
    5oz brisket

I'll have to give that a try.  I always use ground sirloin, always been meaning to add some brisket to it.  I've always heard brisket and short rib made great burgers.

One butcher shop we deliver to has extra lean ground chuck, and that's always really good.  The normal chuck is just way too fatty, and they get that bitter taste from the burned fat.  85% lean seems to be the magic number for me to get the fat just right--get's a good sear and nothing leaks out.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    How can you ruin a great looking burger w/ asperagus?  :o
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Experiment. I like flat iron, brisket and ribeye with the chuck. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN