Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Snack Sticks

lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,006
edited October 2017 in Off Topic
@hondabbq inspired snack sticks...lessons learned so far ..Seasoning kit is a waste when I have most all the spices on the shelf...17 MM casings are tough to get on my smallest tube( 1/2 inch) switched to the 19 MM casings which come on the kits, fit well on the tube but awful large for a snack stick...unless they shrink up a bit....going to set my oven on 170 tomorrow and dehydrate then ill put some smoke on...any advice appreciated 

Visalia, Ca

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 12,486
    If you need a taste tester, ship some to me.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 3,006
    @DMW they say do a couple pounds your first batch...so that was 13 pounds for me =)
    Visalia, Ca
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,945

I only use 19's as they fit on my smallest horn. The Hi Mountain kits are 19's as well which is what I started this journey with so I just stuck with it.

They will slightly shrink up with moisture loss and cooking.

I always pull my sticks out of the fridge from overnight for at least an hour to let them come up in temp a bit because if you put them in directly from the fridge they will condensate and take longer to cook.

I also start my temp of what ever vessel im cooking in at 140 for at least 1 hour to dry off the casings, then bump up the temp 10f every hour until a max of 180f is reached. Then bring the sticks up to 154-156 IT. Generally the first hour to dry the casings is when actually smoking the sticks. When smoke hits the wet casings the taste is acrid, so drying the casings prior to smoke produces a better tasting stick.

Looking forward to some great looking stick pics.

hondabbq said:

I only use 19's as they fit on my smallest horn. The Hi Mountain kits are 19's as well which is what I started this journey with so I just stuck with it.

They will slightly shrink up with moisture loss and cooking.

I always pull my sticks out of the fridge from overnight for at least an hour to let them come up in temp a bit because if you put them in directly from the fridge they will condensate and take longer to cook.

I also start my temp of what ever vessel im cooking in at 140 for at least 1 hour to dry off the casings, then bump up the temp 10f every hour until a max of 180f is reached. Then bring the sticks up to 154-156 IT. Generally the first hour to dry the casings is when actually smoking the sticks. When smoke hits the wet casings the taste is acrid, so drying the casings prior to smoke produces a better tasting stick.

Looking forward to some great looking stick pics.

It thanks @hondabbq , my oven goes down to 170 so ill be running it with the door cracked for a while to keep temp down and let moisture escape...thanks for helping
    Visalia, Ca
    Mine also only goes to 170 I used my Maverick to manage temps along with different apperati to get the door closure temp I needed.
    hondabbq said:
    Mine also only goes to 170 I used my Maverick to manage temps along with different apperati to get the door closure temp I needed.
    @hondabbq , I am going to use my Stoker, Ha funny seeing that on top of the oven , then If I am pleased with this method I will go and get a decent dehydrator...Question for "shelf life" do you try and get the moisture content down to a certain level, or am I overthinking this..I guess since it is a fatty stick, shelf life wont be that great anyway
    Visalia, Ca
    lkapigian said:
    hondabbq said:
    @hondabbq , I am going to use my Stoker, Ha funny seeing that on top of the oven , then If I am pleased with this method I will go and get a decent dehydrator...Question for "shelf life" do you try and get the moisture content down to a certain level, or am I overthinking this..I guess since it is a fatty stick, shelf life wont be that great anyway
    The issue for longer shelf life is fat not moisture. That's why when making jerky you use very lean cuts with no fat. 

No no need to over think it. Just bring the IT up to 154-156 f. 
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,007
    Nice kitchen! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

edited October 2017
    Nice kitchen! =)
    Thanks @Carolina Q ...reminds me of an Asian guy @ work who told me "Mister Larry, I no feel good and need to go home" i told him " when I'm not feeling well, I go make love to my girlfriend" next day Chan is back at work looking chipper, I asked how he was he said "Much better Mr. Larry i took your advice, and you have nice house to"
    Visalia, Ca
    edited October 2017
    About 3.5 in the oven at 170, put them on an offset to finish at get some smoke ...water bath and blooming right now...definitely will do my own spices next time, will withhold final judgement 24 hours...all in all a good first run...making sausage has probably helped make this easier 

Visalia, Ca
    What flavour are they? Looks good. 
    Thanks @hondabbq black pepper and garlic, much better after a couple hours...we are our own worst critic 
    Visalia, Ca
    After the bloom, much better flavor...I want a dehydrator , oven was ok but MEH .,,don't coil the sticks as it is difficult for packaging , all in all an ok first run...17MM casings on the left 19MM on the right 

Visalia, Ca
  • blastingblasting Posts: 5,509
    Looks great @ikapigian.  Bookmarked for sure.
    Phoenix 
    Thanks @blasting
    Visalia, Ca
    Since I was dehydrating in the oven, had some Asada Meat I converted to beef jerky...Very Very Teriaki, garlic and onion powder paprika and chili flakes ...4 hours at 170...most excellent and will do again 

Visalia, Ca
    edited October 2017
    lkapigian said:
    Since I was dehydrating in the oven, had some Asada Meat I converted to beef jerky...Very Very Teriaki, garlic and onion powder paprika and chili flakes ...4 hours at 170...most excellent and will do again 

For me jerky always looks good but I hate it. I don't like chewing and ripping the meat off. 
    I like the ground jerky style. I have made 3-4 batches of that in the dehydrator. 
    hondabbq said:
    lkapigian said:

For me jerky always looks good but I hate it. I don't like chewing and ripping the meat off. 
    I like the ground jerky style. I have made 3-4 batches of that in the dehydrator. 
    I'm going to give that a try as well, had marinated this meat for dinner that didn't happen, so I threw in a couple more ingredients and dried it...I do like the texture of the ground jerky better as well 
    Visalia, Ca
    @hondabbq which cabalas dehydrator do you have
    Visalia, Ca
    hondabbq said:
    I assume you are happy with , any " I wish I would have " 
    Visalia, Ca
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 901
    I would check out this line. Cool thing is cabelas  offers their lifetime guarantee on it. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-L-COMMERCIAL-FOOD-DEHYDRATOR/2339804.uts?slotId=0
    lkapigian said:
    hondabbq said:
    I have about 6-7 runs through it so far and I have no regrets on it.  Are there better ones? Yes. Excalibur is the best in this category and have a 10 year warranty but they are pricey. I didn't want to go that deep with my first foray into a dehydrator. 
    hondabbq said:
    lkapigian said:
    hondabbq said:
    I have about 6-7 runs through it so far and I have no regrets on it.  Are there better ones? Yes. Excalibur is the best in this category and have a 10 year warranty but they are pricey. I didn't want to go that deep with my first foray into a dehydrator. 
    @hondabbq I was thinking more in terms of capacity. Looking at review I think Cabelas is awesome just wondering more about the real estate 
    Visalia, Ca
    edited October 2017
    lkapigian said:
    hondabbq said:
    lkapigian said:
    hondabbq said:
    @hondabbq I was thinking more in terms of capacity. Looking at review I think Cabelas is awesome just wondering more about the real estate 

I can do 10 lbs of sticks or ground beef jerky and have 2 trays left over. For me that's enough.

Heres the thread from my first couple of runs.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208013/dehydrator-fun#latest

Thanks one again @hondabbq I will order that unit!
    Visalia, Ca
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks one again @hondabbq I will order that unit!
    Glad to help out. If you need anything else let me know. 
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 16,940
    Show off :tongue:
    #madjelly
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    @hondabbq picked these up today Commercial 80 litre Dehydrator...and felt I needed an electric smoker for random smoking of protein 
    Visalia, Ca