Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Short Ribs, take 2

Options
Brother was in town for the weekend and so I decided to make beef short ribs. Told him to pick a side which always turns into him cooking most of the sides.

Did a 48 Sous Vide on the ribs chilled them for an hour, and then finished them at 450 on the egg. Came out perfect. You could break it up with a fork, but it still held together to pull apart rather than fall apart. This is how I will do it from now on. Only change will be to remove more of the fat off the top before sous vide. 

My brother made roasted pureed cauliflower and bread pudding and I made a jalapeno cornbread. I also took all the drippings from the sous vide and made a bbq sauce that came out perfect for the ribs. Everything tasted awesome. I'm not a plater so it tastes a lot better than in looked on the plate.

After sous vide, before grill:

After the egg:

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Did the internal fat render at all? Looks like it might not have. That's why I don't like SV short ribs, though a restaurant in town does them and they are out of this world. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Fat will slowly render around 130-140 degrees. Very very slowly. It would take a long time to render all the fat at 144 degrees. That's why I would suggest trimming a lot of fat off the meat before putting it into a sous vide. You need 160 degrees if you want it to render quickly.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Driller
    Options
    Just began reading about the SV, so I am not familiar with the shorthand of the style.  What is a 48?  48 hours?  Temperature? How long on the Egg @ 450?

Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Driller said:
    Just began reading about the SV, so I am not familiar with the shorthand of the style.  What is a 48?  48 hours?  Temperature? How long on the Egg @ 450?

It should have said 48 hour sous vide. Goes on the egg just for the sear. Takes only a couple of minutes on each side just to get the bark you want.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Awesome job.  What temp did you use for the bath?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Awesome job.  What temp did you use for the bath?
    I did the 144 degrees for 48 hours. This will give you examples of what to expect for different temps and times: 
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.