Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Smoked Items for a crowd?

Options
I have my annual Fall Oyster Roast coming up in a few weeks and I always include a big tray of smoked meat products as well.  I've done pulled pork, brisket, wings, ribs, pork carnitas, pepper stout beef, and pulled pork seafood gumbo (that was awesome)...

...but I'm always looking for something new to try!

What do you like that will feed a crowd and showcase some BGE smoked flavor?

I usually make it a day ahead, and then slowly bring back up to serving temp the day of the party.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Scotch eggs, the smoker only version. Different and easy to do, I managed five on a single level in a MM (could have got in sixth in there), imagine how many you could do in an XL with an AR. You'd need a few people to get them assembled though, with practise takes about 30-40 seconds per egg (assuming casing is prepped up front).

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/09/08/smoked-scotch-eggs/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    smoked cream cheese and crackers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I did this at an eggfest in Little Rock, AR. It is like crack. I made 6 blocks and 4 got ate. It was a small eggfest like 14 cooks. I had people come back for three or more times. Be sure to put a rub you like to smoke with on it. I used "It's my rub" from @EggObsessed and @NoJokeSmoke

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This looks so good I would do it again if I were you. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Just weave some bacon and cover in rub on both sides and smoke. Then let them tear off chunks. It's my goto when I have to make a lot because it doesn't take much time.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    If a large crowd I do a Pulled Beef-Chuck Roll or Clod, they weigh in around 30# and are very forgiving 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    This looks so good I would do it again if I were you. 

I forgot I posted the details of that cook.  That thread brought back some memories.  I found a bag of it I had stashed in the freezer this spring and got to sample it again.  Hmmmmm....

@lkapigian , I haven't done pulled beef.  I did the pepper beef but I recall after smoking it went into a put with the veggies to finish.  What temp do you finish the chuck roll at, 190?   Man, I've never cooked a 30# chunk of meat.  "Forgiving" is good!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lkapigian
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @KiterTodd I take it above 200, pulls like pork , I inject as well with an @RRP aus jous you can cook these fast or slow , they are so big I have to put my pit probe on the dome Thermo...but I can do a 25 to 30 pounder on the large 0 trimming
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I remember a thread on this a couple years ago when I was new looked amazing thanks for the reminder!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Simple is always good when serving a crowd. I agree with @lkapigian
    that a beef shoulder clod cooked to the pulling stage is a great way to fill some plates up, and is always a hit. Serve with a horseradish mayo!
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I've never even heard of that cut?  At least it's not in the meat case.
    But Google is turning up many "beef shoulder clod" links, so I guess this is something I'd get from a butcher.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I've never even heard of that cut?  At least it's not in the meat case.
    But Google is turning up many "beef shoulder clod" links, so I guess this is something I'd get from a butcher.
    these are big pieces, a butcher shop would either have the clod or a chuck roll in the back. i usually find the roll about 22 to 25 pounds, cut the thin skirt off for burger and cook the rest. the center of the roll makes a great pot roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @KiterTodd We have a Smart and Final in California that caters to restaurants and is open to the public, they always have chuck roll and shoulder clod in the meat case. Like @fishlessman said most of the rolls are 22-25 but can get a bit over 30, you can break them down , I just cook them whole. I think the Clod is a bit different but both are Primal Cuts
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian