Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Pork

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
Slight bit of cheating as this piece of shoulder came rolled and stuffed from the supermarket. It got the nod purely because it was on offer.

Decided to go for a roast rather than low and slow, so on the MMX at around 375 F for 2.5 hours with a chunk of apple wood in at the start. The skin didn't crackle, so I lifted the platesetter and put the pork back on to try and crisp the fat, but it just burned straight away.

Tastes great!

Comments

• docbdm
    Options
    When.. doing low/ slow.. 12-13 hr for 9 lb shoulder.. do you often hit a plateau around the 153 degree mark.. lasting a couple of hours.. cooking at 250..
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    docbdm said:
    When.. doing low/ slow.. 12-13 hr for 9 lb shoulder.. do you often hit a plateau around the 153 degree mark.. lasting a couple of hours.. cooking at 250..
    Google 'stall' on here and you will find loads of info. The evaporation from the surface of the meat absorbs the heat energy and the temperature stays at a level for a while. Some people wrap at this stage, removing the evaporation and so preventing the stall and speeding up the cook. This alters the bark formation on the meat, I just let it run unwrapped, I think most on here do the same.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Yep, when the surface of the meat turns into a swamp pump, the meat stays cool. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!